2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 11:28 AM by jayson.sainsbury

Bug or Feature?

jayson.sainsbury

I just noticed that in our system we are receiving traps from devices not setup as nodes.  In the traps table they are coming back with a NodeID of 0 and results data essentially get orphaned. I can not see any benefit to this "feature". Obviously this is the result administration actions but with our business model I am not sure it is avoidable.  In any case to me, if the device is not setup as a node it should be ignoring the traps it receives unless there is some reason that I cannot see that would justify this behavior/functionality.  Can anyone see any reason why this would be beneficial or needed?

• Re: Bug or Feature?
          sean.martinez

A couple of customers have requested that they have the ability to collect SNMP Traps from non-managed systems and still be able to send notifications, and you are correct every trap will show as NodeID of 0. We can only receive SNMPv 1 and 2 Traps to non-managed Nodes. The few times we used this was when the customer did not own the system or did not have management access to the system, but had the ability for SNMP Traps to notify on Route or Port changes.

• Re: Bug or Feature?
              jayson.sainsbury

Is there a way to manage these possibly of an approved snmp list or something?  Just thinking of the possibility of the database getting a lot of unwanted growth or data from devices and no way to stop them.  It would be nice to block it at the collection point.