8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2013 9:00 AM by syldra

Any advice on a well integrated setup?

nrgskill

Hi, I just started a new job and I have to say the infrastructure is a mess right now. I need to implement these functionalities:

- Help Desk management

- Network inventorying

- Infrastructure availability monitoring (with alerts and reporting of up-times)

- Load monitoring (with alerts and graphs for reporting)

- Change management (for configurations, assets and procedures documentation)

- Patch management

- Document management

All these services should run on the same server, possibly on Win 2008 (as our manager requirement)

I would have those systems well integrated with each other (for instance: an excessive load should trigger a Helpdesk ticket, the solution of the ticket should trigger a documentation revision; or network inventorying should provide an help on creating and maintain network diagrams and it should also trigger document management and change management, etc).

The company already owns GFI Languard (for patch management), most of our systems are Dell (servers and network devices), I would use Web Help Desk but I have no clue of other solutions that fits my needs.

I already know and used Nagios, Zabbix, Lansweeper, WSUS, Cacti but these systems are difficult to integrate each other.

It has also to be considered the database engines the systems will run with (because of the single server requirement), I think that a single SQL will be good for optimize the performances. Documents and attachments should be stored on a NAS. 

Any advice on a well integrated setup will be very appreciated.

Thanks you guys,

Andrea

• Re: Any advice on a well integrated setup?
          bluefunelemental

I've heard of the superman job description and this sounds like the same for this server- all this functionality and you can't have a seperate DB server- for how many nodes?

Given the severe lack of resources I assume you too will be constrained so getting as much as possible pre-integrated from vendors will help you. So here we go-

- Help Desk management

(Web Help Desk since its already integrated, is easily customizable, and includes some change management- however I think this would require another server)

- Network inventorying

(I use NPM/UDT for this more then NCM but either would work)

- Infrastructure availability monitoring (with alerts and reporting of up-times)

(NPM for network devices/power infrastructure  and SAM for everything else)

- Load monitoring (with alerts and graphs for reporting)

(same and its best to rely on the top 10 summary for outliers and also add all your devices into functional groups ( or custom property such as "group" or "system") so you can see load monitoring across these like systems such as all your blackberry servers)

- Change management (for configurations, assets and procedures documentation)

("1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - this is so much more about all levels of management supporting a process vs what tools are used to implement it. However assuming you have said support then it goes back to your constrained resources. With that in mind and in an attempt to Keep It Simple I would use WHD for end user and enginnering process CR (build up the ticket templates for consistency, require NPM/SAM auditing to be cut/paste into ticket to show it was implemented as requested, FAQ as needed, and then NCM for consistent network device configuration management. )

- Patch management

(I have not used Languard and just digging into Patch Manager but leveraging wsus while getting reporting in Solarwinds is a plus)

- Document management

(we have an entire sharepoint farm and team but it sounds like you could do a NAS as a doc store behind a wiki page or even google docs)

Hope that helps?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            nei4352

We have a similar challenge at my company.  One of our consultants called our situation "Tool Soup".

I hope you receive many more responses on your query!

I think that network inventory, availability and load monitoring can all be handled well with Solarwinds. The others don't fit so well.

Running all of this on just a single server might be not be possible or practical.  For instance, Soalrwinds recommends to separate the SQL server from the Solarwinds / Orion server.

Sorry I didn't have the "Holy Grail" answer.  Best of luck in your quest!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Leon Adato

How big is this environment?

I will say that it sounds like a tall order - not impossible but I sense that underheath the hood is a management attitude of "anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about".

nrgskill

Thanks for the advice. Now I am pushing for an ESXi server, with 128GB ram and 6 10k sas disks in raid 5 with nv memory controller. So I'll be able to run multiple systems, containing the costs.

Regarding document and systems change management do you have any advice?