This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question on the AppInsight for SQL

Just installed the SAM 6.0 update a couple of days ago.   We noticed a lot of alerts being logged as triggered for the new alert of AppInsight for SQL:  Alert me when my database file is running low on space.   It appeared to be alerting on every single one of the database files on the one server that we added the AppInsight to.  The alert appears to trigger when the Free Space in percents is less than or equal to 5% for the Database Files.  The problem is that I can not find that data anywhere on the AppInsight page to see what the values are currently and/or over time or how the value is calculated.  I ended up configuring the alert to send me an email.   It is saying that remaining free space for all the files is 0 bytes, which is definitely not the case.     For example, I have one database file that shows as space used by data as 2.94MB, white space as 1.06MB and available auto grow as 0 bytes.   

The only thing that I can think of is that AppInsight is looking at the Auto-grow as the remaining free space and ignoring the white space.   Any input/ideas/suggestions?

• Is it at all possible that you're not monitoring the volumes on the server where the databases are located?

• No. These database files are located on a drive on the server.   I was testing with a SQL cluster.   So as another test, I added a single node SQL server to the AppInsight.   Again the alert went off for a database file saying it has 0 bytes free.  On the AppInsight page, I clicked on the database.   Under the file section, it shows that the file is only 33% utilized.   I have not changed anything in the AppInsight or its alerts.

From the AppInsight Page:

Capture.JPG

The E-mail alert received:

Capture.JPG

The AppInsight alert:

Capture.JPG

• It looks like your database file is located on a remote NAS or Windows File Server, but it isn't local to the SQL server itself. AppInsight for SQL has been designed to take volume space into account when calculating remaining space for databases configured to auto-grow. Since your volume is remote this isn't going to work for this SQL server. You can either remove the thresholds, disable the alert, or choose instead to alert upon white space remaining in the database.

• Thank you for detailed description.

The file name in Database size by file resource has a tooltip as shown below:

DatabaseSizeByfileTooltip.png

If the volume space is not available the available space for auto-grow is 0 and that's why Remaining free space is 0 in the email.

• Ok, for database files that are located local to the SQL Server, if the volume space is not showing as available, is there a way to fix that so that is shows info? 

• For databases files that are local, but are not showing available auto grow space like the image posted above by is caused by that local volume not being monitored by Orion. My recommendation would be to list resources on that node and select the volume(s) where the database files are stored.

• Alterego...

I am having the same issue ... Volume usage is not Available . Would you please kindly let me know the steps that I need to do so Volume Usage will be monitored ? I am new in SOlarwind MOnitoring Area

Thanks so much

• redlotus‌, I believe I answered this question in the following thread you started below.

• I'm in a similar situation with the exception that I re-added the correct volume. I see free space when looking at the node (db file in particular) but the alert is still showing 0 available. Is there a better way to tweak the alert so it shows the correct info?