4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 10:14 AM by ecklerwr1

Do you proactively reboot your pollers?

afox

I'm curious how many people regularly reboot their pollers.  My team and I have been having conversations about if we need proactively reboot or not.  If you do reboot your pollers, how often do you do it?

• Re: Do you proactively reboot your pollers?
          Justin Walker

My team is about to start doing it once a week. Ill let you know the outcome!!!

branfarm

We normally reboot about once per month, and primarily because of Windows Updates, though I'm interested to hear if people are noticing performance gains by rebooting more often.

Leon Adato

Just to put some more history around this, I work with afox and waka13 and I'm pushing for weekly (or at least twice-monthly) reboots.

While I know that Windows servers *can* generally keep running for several weeks without a reboot, my experience is that the Solarwinds software experiences memory leaks, application instability, etc - especially in a sizeable environment - and a reboot is a great (if admittedly somewhat inelegant) way to keep things running smoothly.

Full disclosure: I openly hate on Microsoft.

Background: I've used Windows since about 1989, when it came for free on 12 5.25" floppies when you bought a copy of Excel 1.0. I got my MCSE in NT, 2000 and 2003.

So this is a distaste born of familiarity.

ecklerwr1

NO... Not unless there are patches which there usually are after patch Tuesday.  My NPM/NTA/SAM server and it's SQL server is virtualized.  This is my busiest poller:

Network Elements 921 Nodes, 1717 Interfaces, 3972 Volumes, 6610 Total Elements
                Polling Completion 100.00%
                Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2
                Service Pack Service Pack 1

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP3) - 10.0.5500.0 (X64)