The documentation doesn't specify so I'm going to ask here. I have always installed a new MIB.cfg on all of my polling engines but to be honest I don't know if that is truly necessary. The instructions don't state one way or another. So I have two requests. Can someone from SolarWinds confirm if it is indeed necessary to install on all polling engines and secondly can the documentation be update to clarify that it is either needed on one or all.
Instruction snippet from the zip file.
Updating the MIB Database for Orion NPM
The following procedure updates the Orion NPM MIB database.
To update your existing Orion NPM MIB database:
- 1. Extract the compressed MIBs.cfg file to an appropriate temporary location.
- 2. Navigate to the appropriate MIBs.cfg default installation location, as indicated in the following steps:
Note: If your operating system uses Regional Settings other than English (United States), confirm that you are installing the MIBs.cfg file to the appropriate native region location.
- a. If you have installed Orion NPM 10.0 or later, the default location depends your installed Windows operating system version, as follows:
· On Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, the default location is C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\.
· On Windows Server 2003 or earlier, it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\.
- b. If you have installed Orion NPM 9.5.1 or earlier, the default location is C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Common\.
- 3. Copy the extracted MIBs.cfg file from its temporary location to the appropriate default location as indicated in the previous step, and then replace the existing MIBs.cfg file.
- 4. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features > Orion Service Manager.
- 5. Click Shutdown Everything, and then, after all services have stopped, click Start Everything.
For more information or further assistance, submit a technical support ticket at http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket/.