This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Add new IP address to an existing Node?

I'm attempting to use the Perl SDK to add an IP address to an existing node: specifically the Orion.NodeIPAddresses.

I'm getting an access denied error: <UserMessage>Access to Orion.NodeIPAddresses denied.</UserMessage>

I did search the forums and this does seem to be an often requested feature, but wondering if it's possible to do it programmatically? (rather than via the Web UI).

Our specific use cases are NetScaler / F5 Big IP, with multiple front end load balanced IPs.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the code I'm using:

sub addIPAddress {

my %NEWIP = (

'NodeID'            => $_[1],

'IPAddress'         => $_[2],

'IPAddressN' => ip2guid($_[2]),

'IPAddressType'     => 'IPv4'

);

return $_[0]->Create('Orion.NodeIPAddresses', \%NEWIP);

}

my $swis = SW::InformationService->new();

$swis->outputxml("true");

$swis->proxy("https://".$hostname.$endpoint);

$swis->proxy->http_request->authorization_basic($username, $password);

print addIPAddress($swis, '1234', '127.0.01');

• Orion.NodeIPAddresses is not writable, by design. The information here reflects what IP addresses Orion discovers for a node. The system will still poll the node using the IPAddress property of the Orion.Node object.

What are you trying to achieve by adding an entry to Orion.NodeIPAddresses?

• We have Citrix NetScaler / F5 Big IP devices that serve virtual IP's (vIP) for load balanced back end services.

I'd like the end user to be able to search by IP address, and when they're searching for a load balancer IP, that then returns the NetScaler device node.

I know I can do this by assigning a custom attribute, but potentially there are 100's of vIP's across these devices, and I'd prefer these show up as additional IP Addresses within the Node window.

Perhaps I could accomplish this by adding another interface? (but that seemed specific to physical device interfaces)

• If I search for an IP address on a router (in NPM10.5) it brings up the router that has that IP address on one of its interfaces

here is one of the routers -- I searched for an IP address 10.132.7.4, and you can see that it's polling IP address is 10.132.0.4

search-result-example.png

• Probably due to the Router presenting that information via config (SNMP?) that Orion can understand and incorporate into the view.

For devices where virtual IP's are presented on a single Interface and Orion cannot (or doesn't have access to) identify all IP's, how does one add them programmatically? I'll even settle for by hand at the moment!

• This information is populated from two SNMP OIDs: ipAdEntIfIndex 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.2 for IPv4 addresses and ipv6AddrStatus 1.3.6.1.2.1.55.1.8.1.5 for IPv6 addresses.

Could you meet your search needs by putting those virtual IPs in a custom property?

• I "could" use a custom property. However this a non-optimal solution (we'd now have 2 places to check for IP Addresses within Orion), also the use-case of end-user searching by IP Address wouldn't be met - the user would have to search both via IP address, and now a new custom property. Also, unless I want to parse the custom property (extracting comma delimited IP addresses), I'd need a new custom property for each IP (in this case 100's).

Would be awesome if I could add this somewhere via SDK (or spoof the OID's / create a new SNMP MIB / device ?) to have Orion populate the existing IP Address fields.

• So for the Citrix Netscaler devices the virtual IP information is stored in SNMP OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.5951.4.1.3.1.1.2 per CTX128676 - Citrix NetScaler SNMP OID Reference - Release 9.3 - Citrix Knowledge Center

Any chance we can get that location polled to add IP's to the Orion.NodeIPAddresses table? (I've clearly got no idea if this is a major or minor request!)

• Thanks for the info! I'll let the product manager know about this request.

• Hi tdanner, is the request from gstewart has already been approved? because we also need to  monitor those VIPs. or do you have any workaround in order to monitor these? thanks.

• I don't believe the feature was implemented. As a workaround, you could use the Universal Device Poller to fetch the values from that OID and display them on the node details page.