This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

FEATURE REQUEST - Link Existing Split DHCP Scopes into a Single Merged Subnet

I see how to take an existing DHCP scope and split it using IPAM.   I also see the option to Enable Duplicate Subnets and understand that it merges duplicate subnets into one, specifically for split-scope scenarios.

What I'd like to do is take an EXISTING split scope from 2 DHCP servers, run my discovery with IPAM, and have it automatically merge the scopes into one subnet.   According to tech support, I would need to actually "unsplit" my existing scopes, then discover and import them with IPAM, then split them using IPAM.   I don't want to mess with existing, production DHCP scopes in such a way.

My case number was 510751, so you can see the history.   It seems like a simple option on the linking page with the discovered subnets.   I can check 2 of them, IPAM can see that they're overlapping and prompt me to merge them into one subnet to manage.  

Thanks!

Chris Smith

Trek Bicycle;

• +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1  emoticons_happy.png  The IPAM module is an overlay to an existing network, I agree with Chris, why do we need to break a working, solid production environment just to make a management tool happy?  Based on several postings, a lot of IPAM customers aren't comfortable with IPAM actually managing the DNS/DHCP environments yet, anyhow.  We are mostly using it (for now) as a spreadsheet replacement.

D

• +++1 We also utilize split-scopes between two domain controllers and it is a daily frustration to see yellow and red 'danger zones' in IPAM on the (half) scope that IPAM is looking at when there are still plenty of IP's available in the full scope.  Solarwinds, please fix!

• good input guys, I obviously don't wont to build a product that requires additional work for you so we will take a look at this problem. I've also created an idea do you and others may vote here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2718

Would you like to have this functionality automatically active in IPAM or would you better turn it on upon a request and define the scopes than should create a single subnet - "a merge" option?

thanks!

Michal

• Michal,

It's always a good idea to have "options."  Based on all the posted material in Thwack as of today, "I think" most people are simply migrating spreadsheets into IPAM and they are just starting to "tinker" with the DNS/DHCP management stuff; so having this turned on automatically is a great idea.  However, I can also see where a person might be building a new environment, and could use IPAM to build the scopes initially, so it may not need to be turned on at all.  And I can also see a scenerio where someone might have duplicate scopes setup, and also, may not want this turned on.  So, I'm not sure what the correct answer would be.

I could certainly be happy with the ability to turn this feature on as I needed it.  But as the product evolves and matures...my opinion could change.  The only thing constant about IT is change.  emoticons_happy.png

D

(I voted +1)

• I don't know that it needs to be an option to turn on or off.   I think that upon discovery, when I go to add the discovered subnets to IPAM, it should automatically scan through the current list, find that there's an overlap, and offer me the choice at that time.   For instance, I have two discovered subnets, 10.10.10.x/24.   When I go to move them in, Solarwinds should see that they are there and offer to bring them both in merged, or to bring them individually.    If there's already a 10.10.10.x subnet and I create a DHCP scope (outside of IPAM) for it, when it's discovered, it should see the same and ask if I want to associate them together.

I hope that makes sense.....

• Now I'm dealing with this issue too.  Vote for having IPAM merge DHCP split scopes into one subnet by default and not have to export/recreate/import stuff to make existing database whole. Right now I have a split scope that has the right name in DHCP section but totally wrong name in IP Subnets display.  I've used IPAM to created new scopes and split scopes rather than use the MS DHCP admin.  Are we out in the cold for now?

• This is the same issue I have run in to as well.. Does not make sense to recreate the DHCP split scopes through IPAM. This topic has gone cold.. any updates or work arounds?