9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 2:36 PM by jeff@schlieve.com

Overall Hardware Status has state "could not poll"

lta

Hi,

As the title really, one of my switches has the above state, I have restarted the polling service on the server to no avail, I don't really want to delete the node and re-add it as it is one of our core switches.

cs2.png

Any ideas?

Also as a side note only a handful of my Cisco devices are reporting hardware status, how do I get them all to report?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Overall Hardware Status has state "could not poll"
          rob.hock

On the nodes not reporting health data, try "List resources" on the individual object (or rediscover entirely.) You should then be able to select the hardware health sensors.

9-6-2013 11-41-58 AM.png

lta

Thanks,

I've tried both of those and the Hardware Health isn't under list resources or via rediscover, when you say rediscover entirely do you mean to delete the node and re-add it?

Intrestingly they are running the same IOS: 15.0(2)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4) and are the same model switch but have different supervisor cards if that makes a difference?

rob.hock

Sorry for the obvious question, but were we getting HW health information for this node at some point? What model switch is it? For the sake of clarity, it may be best to delete the node and re-add it, but understandable you would not want to lose historical data.

lta

No need to apologise.

Not previously as our server crashed and this is fresh build with the latest updates, we hadn't been able to update to the latest version before then so Hardware health is new feature that I want to take advantage of.

The switch in question is a 4506:

cisco WS-C4506 (MPC8245) processor (revision 4)

sh mod

Chassis Type : WS-C4506

Power consumed by backplane : 0 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

1     2  Supervisor V 1000BaseX (GBIC)          WS-X4516           JAE12089J55

2     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306-GB        JAE0821JUY4

3     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306           JAB041200GX

4     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306           JAB043005SW

5     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306-GB        JAE08491LCP

6     6  1000BaseX (GBIC)                       WS-X4306-GB        JAE08030EA1

rob.hock

We poll the HWH data from CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB (ususally new devices). If this MIB is not supported we poll the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB (usually old(er)devices like the 4506). This can be changed in the config file:

c:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\HardwareHealth\SolarWinds.HardwareHealth.Pollers.dll.config, change the

<add key="IgnoreCiscoNewEntityMib" value="false"/>

to

<add key="IgnoreCiscoNewEntityMib" value="true"/>

after this change (and restarting all services), the only OIDs polled will be those from CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.

Once complete, re-list resources on the device. Unfortunately, this could cause lack of HR health information being returned for any newer devices in the environment.

lta

Ok thank you, I will walk the devices in question before making the change as two of our 4 4506's do report the hardware health.

I'll feed back tomorrow.

Really appreciate your assistance.

lta

With regard to the mibs

I walked the two devices in question:

lee@002153-IT-PC:~$ snmpwalk -v2c -c xxxxxxxxx 10.x.x.x |grep -i sensor

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.9 = STRING: "Chassis Temperature Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.15 = STRING: "Power Supply Fan Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.18 = STRING: "Power Supply Fan Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.7.9 = STRING: "Chassis Temperature Sensor"

lee@002153-IT-PC:~$ snmpwalk -v2c -c xxxxxxxx 10.x.x.x |grep -i sensor

The Agent capabilities for CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB.

cEntitySensorCapabilityV5R015 AGENT-CAPABILITIES

SUPPORTS CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.9 = STRING: "Chassis Temperature Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.15 = STRING: "Power Supply Fan Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.2.18 = STRING: "Power Supply Fan Sensor"

SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.47.1.1.1.1.7.9 = STRING: "Chassis Temperature Sensor"

the top walk is from a device where nothing is reported at all, so that's ok I'd guess that is because of the entity-sensor not being available, the bottom walk is from the device that is reporting undefined, where we can see that entity-sensor is available, these two devices do run a different IOS so I am putting the fact the MIB doesn't exisit on the first device down to that.

At this point I don't see the need to change the config file to poll for the older MIB, also I guess at this point it is a matter of deleting the device and re-adding to see if it will poll properly upon re-add.

jeff@schlieve.com

I have a simular problem but not the same.  I had a 2800 upgraded to a 2921.

i set up the config simular to the one previous, changeing F*.* to G*.* and other interface changes, I can see the router in SolarWinds, I can even pull a config, I can ping it from every side of the network i can ping from it to any other place on the network.

why do i keep getting this message?

Node is Up.
                        Overall Hardware Status 'Overall Hardware Status' has state: Could Not Poll.

If i try to edit it, it tells me that the node is not there, so i cant do what was suggested above.