3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2013 9:04 PM by bluefunelemental

IPAM <> NPM integration improvements

stefanIT

Hi guys,

We use Solarwinds as an asset DB for our Splunk reporting. There are a few areas where we feel the integration between IPAM and NPM could be improved:

- Clicking a hostname or IP in IPAM should ideally take you to the Node View in NPM.

- The tree view in IPAM needs an Expand All / Collapse All button.

- Custom Properties for an individual node/IP in IPAM should integrate with NPM so you don't have to input these twice.

- Custom Properties should have the option of a drop-down menu for consistency with NPM.

- The ability to clone ranges in IPAM would save a lot of time.

- A little summary banner listing Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, DNS and DHCP servers, and %utilisation for each subnet would also be very useful.

- IPAM Node Resource in NPM showing Default Gateway, NAT IPs and DNS /DHCP servers.

- DNS / DHCP Management: Need the ability to add more than one server at a time.

Have these all been requested already or should I fire away some Feature Requests?

Cheers,

Stefan

• Re: IPAM <> NPM integration improvements
          michal.hrncirik

Hi Stefan,

great input. I also hope you've tried our NPM RC with a new reporting so you don't need feed Splunk ones anymore

regarding your feature requests:

- Clicking a hostname or IP in IPAM should ideally take you to the Node View in NPM.

I assume that you are OK with a fact that that works only for a nodes that are monitored in NPM which is typically less than half of a subnet (people don't care to minitor bunch of client stations) 

- agree and actualy we are working on IPAM re-design. We are not sure if tree is a right element here because in case of many subnets it is a lot of manual work.

- Custom Properties for an individual node/IP in IPAM should integrate with NPM so you don't have to input these twice.

- absolutely! high priority on our side.

- Custom Properties should have the option of a drop-down menu for consistency with NPM.

- same as above

- you saying ranges - you mean scope on DHCP or ranges on ISC subnets? Can you also tell me when you need to clone a range in your environment?

- A little summary banner listing Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, DNS and DHCP servers, and %utilisation for each subnet would also be very useful.

- interesting - created a new FR for this.we will proces that during re-design specs.

- IPAM Node Resource in NPM showing Default Gateway, NAT IPs and DNS /DHCP servers.

- we can't do NAT IPs currently (existing FR). This is about integration with NPM we also want to improve (bring a separate resources for DHCP, DNS, etc). You should be able to ad IPAM resources that live on IP Address detail page.

- DNS / DHCP Management: Need the ability to add more than one server at a time.

- existing request. Are you be ok with addint the multiple servers but same vendor? How many time you need to do such operation?

again, thanks a lot for a great feedback!

stefanIT

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your response. Please see answers in-line below.

Regards,

Stefan

great input. I also hope you've tried our NPM RC with a new reporting so you don't need feed Splunk ones anymore

Yep, I’ve had a little play with this and I like what I see. It just so happens that we have a heavy investment in Splunk, so that’s probably staying too.

regarding your feature requests:

I assume that you are OK with a fact that that works only for a nodes that are monitored in NPM which is typically less than half of a subnet (people don't care to minitor bunch of client stations) 

Oh absolutely! If it’s not in NPM, I generally don’t care about it.

- agree and actualy we are working on IPAM re-design. We are not sure if tree is a right element here because in case of many subnets it is a lot of manual work.

Sure, I understand. This sounds exciting! I’m always available for a usability session if you want some input.

- absolutely! high priority on our side.

- same as above

Excellent to both the above!

- you saying ranges - you mean scope on DHCP or ranges on ISC subnets? Can you also tell me when you need to clone a range in your environment?

I meant IP subnets – very useful for defining multiple little /24 or smaller segments without having to type all the info in again.

- interesting - created a new FR for this.we will proces that during re-design specs.

Thanks!

- we can't do NAT IPs currently (existing FR). This is about integration with NPM we also want to improve (bring a separate resources for DHCP, DNS, etc). You should be able to ad IPAM resources that live on IP Address detail page.

Yes, we’re already doing that in IPAM. Hopefully that will be visible in the Node Details view in NPM in the future.

- existing request. Are you be ok with addint the multiple servers but same vendor? How many time you need to do such operation?

Great! Yes, happy adding multiple from the same Vendor thanks.

again, thanks a lot for a great feedback!

And thank you for your responsiveness and for taking the time to chat with me. Cheers!

bluefunelemental

Clicking a hostname or IP in IPAM should ideally take you to the Node View in NPM

--I click so many times on the name that I think everyone thinks this is just supposed to work. I was going to build my own SQWL resource to provide a link to the NPM from the IP Address Details page but this should be standard feature set.