This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Determine if a single device has both wired and wireless connections

Here is what I am looking to get out of UDT if possible:

I would like to search for a PC, and if that PC has both wired and wireless connections then UDT would show the hostname with both MACs and IP's.  Currently I don't believe that is possible.

I understand that UDT is using DNS to resolve the hostname, but I am curious to see if SolarWinds could eventually give me both.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Update:

I have basically found the answer....

If you click on a hostname in the All Endpoint log Ins frame it will take you to the UDT Endpoint details page.  Under Current Network Connections it will show both the wireless and wired connections.  It doesn't show you the IP or MAC of the wireless connection just the AP it is connected to. Would be great if it did though.

• Thanks for good info,

I add more Infos. UDT is using DNS to resolve the hostname. But more accuretely I think it uses A records in Forward lookup Zone to resolve from IP to hostname first, if the first step is unsuccessful, it continues to use PTR records in Reversed Lookup Zone to map hostname to one IP.

In my network, I use Secure DNS update settings, so that with computers not joined in my Domain, it cannot create A record in Forward lookup Zone, but a PTR record in Reversed Lookup Zone is OK.

Please correct me if I 'm wrong.

I'm getting the issue that hostname column in Manage Subnet & IP does not update correctly

• "I'm getting the issue that hostname column in Manage Subnet & IP does not update correctly"

At first glance I do not have the same problem as you.   What does the IPAM Address History show you for the hostname for that IP?   Was the IP given to another hostname?  What is your scan interval set for in IPAM for that subnet?  The only thing I can think of is that your scanning interval is set higher than your UDT scan interval.   This could possibly explain it.