6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 3:30 PM by theletterg

checking sms validation

jpl3

Apparently my alternate (sms) address failed validation -  I don't get alerts on my phone and see this in the alert history when user alert pref 2 should have been used:

Failed to notify user because the notification preference is not validate

How can I determine why validation failed?

thanks.. john

• Re: checking sms validation
          rtriebwasser

The next release of Alert Central will feature notification address validation enhancements that will allow you to re-send validation messages and view whether or not an address has been validated.  For now though, the only way to tell if it has been validated is to make sure that the address also receives a welcome/validation success message.

jpl3

I'll look forward to that feature in the next release, thanks. In the meantime, can you offer any suggestions for trouble-shooting? I'm not getting a successful validation with either of two Verizon phones. Both receive a validation request from AC, but neither gets a 'success' message back. One is an android, and the validation reply shows up as an alert - 'Unable to determine the source of this alert'. The other device is an iPhone, and I don't see the validation reply on AC.

rtriebwasser

Other users have experienced issues with replies using SMS on Verizon.  The issue is that Alert Central currently validates that the from address for incoming mail matches the address configured in the notification preferences, but the email gateways that Verizon uses will change the from address to something else.  The next release of alert central will also resolve this issue by allowing mail from any address, and instead, use the Alert Central Notification ID (ACNID) number to figure out everything about the message.

For now, a way to get around this would be to use an email client such as Thunderbird to spoof an SMS reply so it looks like it is coming from the device.  So long as the email has the ${ACNID:xxx} token with the correct number in the subject, the from address matches the address from the notification preference, and the body has the word validate, you should be able to validate the account.

To get the validation message to go out again, modify the address to something else, save the user, then modify it back to the correct address.  Those steps will re-send the validation message, and then you can copy the ACNID token from that mail into your spoofed thunderbird message.

jsmillie

I was trying to solve the same issue today and i figured out why.  when you recieve the validation sms it comes from number 99999999 and when you reply to it, it will go no where.  if you reply back manually to the alert central email address you created, it gets there but cannot validate because it is now an mms and not a sms.  the way to spoof it is to spoof your phones sms email address and send the validation.  for example  from is 5554441234@msg.verizon.net and the to is alert.central@yourcompany.com and the subject will be {ANCID:3345} with the body verified.  you will know exactly the values to put in.  This will work to only receive the sms, however you cannot ack them back.

theletterg

I have an interesting problem.  Validation from my phone does not work for the same reason.  However, I cannot get the ANCID number due to the text subject being cut off after the first number.  Since I cannot get the full number, I cannot spoof the ANCID number.  If I could get into Alert Central's logs to see what it sent, that would help.  Any thoughts how to get to work?