5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 4:02 PM by Lawrence Garvin

Help Please :D - Software installs on machines but unviewable

oorel001

Hi Community users!

I'm currently using PatchManager and started creating my own packages. I have a test virtual box (clean build) running Windows 7 Pro. I can create MSI packages perfectly fine. By this, I mean that I can install the package, return to a previous snapshot and install again. I can also install on a regular machine w/o any problem. I have a test group and when I push the MSI package to them, Windows Update shows that the package is installed. When I look for the software, it's no where to be found. Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.teamverr.png

• Re: Help Please :D - Software installs on machines but unviewable
          Lawrence Garvin

I think I need some more detail on what you're experiencing. I'm good up until the last sentence,  so I understand that when you use Patch Manager to install the MSI package, that Windows Update shows that the package is installed. (Although the provided graphic suggests that nothing has been installed since TeamViewer8 was installed last Thursday.)

What I do not understand is the next sentence:

When I look for the software, it's no where to be found.

Can you please expand on this in more detail. What software are you looking for, and where are you looking for it.

oorel001

Hi LGarvin

For a better explanation, the Team Viewer icon is no where to be found.

Not on the desktop, Program Files menu, or pinned on the taskbar.

Also, it's no where in the registry or control panel for removal

Lawrence Garvin

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

To be frank, you're way outside the scope of Patch Manager, WSUS, or the Windows Update Agent. What TeamView does or does not do with its icons and/or start menu items during an unattended installation would be a question for TeamViewer.

However, were I to make an educated guess, my first thought would be that there are command-line options that allow you to specify whether to create those items, and it may be that they're all OFF by default (pretty cool actually) rather than ON by default.

Having said that, I then went to the TeamViewer website, alas I was unable to find anything regarding handling unattended installations of the product.

oorel001

Interesting.

Yea, I know the scope is mainly for patching software (Adobe, Java, etc) but I was told that it could also be used for deployment of packages (though no direct support for it). I guess i'm going to have to look up and down Google to see how to make this function Thanks for the replies!

Lawrence Garvin

Your understanding is absolutely correct ... the product is exceptionally well suited for deploying software ... I did not mean to imply that it wasn't.

However, what is critical to understand is where the boundaries exist between what is Patch Manager operations, what is WSUS operations, what is WUAgent operations, and where the sole functionality of the *application* begins. To that point, once the WUAgent launches the installer, it's ALL the application. If the application fails to behave as expected during the installation, there's nothing you can do with SPM/WSUS/WUA to fix that -- unless, as I've suggested, the behavior can be modified via the installer's command line parameters.

Alternatively, you can also script the creation of the desktop, taskbar, or Start Menu icons via a VBS script that can be executed as a <postinstall> task using PackageBoot if the installer provides no methodology for doing that otherwise.