7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 8:49 AM by rig24

Custom reporting

rig24

New to SW, so please excuse the noob question.

I was looking to create a custom report and am not having any luck with it.

I have around 50 sites accross the US that I use SW to monitor.  I like using the last month availability report, it gives me the information that I need to send up the chain.  If I could customise that to separate the sites by regions and also leave out some devies that are being monitored, I would be able to free up more of my time for real work.  Is this possible?  And could someone point me in the direction to figure this out?

Thanks,

Rob

• Re: Custom reporting
          Leon Adato

this is very achievable.

A couple of initial questions:

Do you have anything in SolarWinds now that identifies the region of the device?

Do you have any consistent way to note which devices you want "in" or which you want "out"?

How many devices total (for this report) are we talking about?

mharvey

Rob,

This is possible.  The first thing you'd want to do, if you haven't done this already is setup a custom property for region.  This can be done in the website under settings and manage custom properties.  Once you have this added and populated, you can go into your report in the Report Writer, and in the Select Fields add the new Region property you've added.  You can then use this in grouping, or sort by this property.  To remove nodes from the report, the easiest way to do this could be by going to filter results, add conditions for node name not equal to, and you can populate the last part with the name of the node. You can add as many of these as you want to filter nodes out of the report.  Another option would be to add in another custom property, maybe a yes/no for Reported, then select all but the ones you want in the report, then in your report, use this new custom property in your report in the Filter results of Reported is equal to Yes. 

Just a couple ideas to get you started.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 systems

rig24

This is awesome!  Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't able to find the custom properties on the Orion web page, but RDP'ed into the server and found it there.  I added a region property and IncludeInMontly yes/no property.  I was able to create the custom report without issues.

One more question, is it possible to have an availability percentage created for the region?  Example: the north region was 99.4% available.  Below that would be all the sites and their availability for that region.

I've heard how helpful this forum is, you guys just confirmed it.  Thanks again.

mharvey

There's no simple way to do that, as there's nothing in the database that would be able to pull that by region.  The closest you could get would be to create a group (if you are on version 10.3 or later) and then report on group availability.  This is different from using custom properties and is calculated separately from Node availability.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

rig24

Would this group be created in the report writing tool?

rig24

Thats great...thanks again.