1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 12:25 PM by Dan (Netwrix)

How do you monitor virtualization?

michael stump

I'm curious how others out there monitor their virtualization infrastructure. Specifically, do you run your NMS as a VM inside your production environment, as a VM in a management / monitoring cluster, or as a physical server that is external to your virtualization altogether? I see pros and cons for each:

1. VM in your prod cluster
        • Pros - Your NMS enjoys the same benefits from virtualization as your prod hosts (HA, DRS, et cetera)
        • Cons - Given the size of your environment, the NMS workload may end up dragging down the performance of your production VMs, and may artificially inflate resource utilization of your hosts
      2. VM in your mgmt cluster
        • Pros - Your NMS enjoys the same benefits from virtualization as your prod hosts (HA, DRS, et cetera), and you isolate the NMS workload from production
        • Cons - Your mgmt cluster might not have the resources to satisfy a busy NMS workload (I'm thinking IOPS for your NMS database primarily)
      3. Physical server
        • Pros - Monitoring is external to the monitored environment, and does not consume resources that you're monitoring
        • Cons - It's a physical server NOT running a hypervisor. Gross.

Doing something else? I'm interested in that, too.