2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 5:24 PM by park city

NTA 4.0 architectural changes

RichardLetts

I seem to have missed the heads-up about the huge architectural change with NTA4.0 -- this has moved the database for NTA traffic to its own database, and from the release notes it looks like it is now storing the data locally, requiring 60GB+ of local storage.

I do not have this much local storage on my application server

Can the Netflow database be remote?

Is this local database replicated and supported using the failover engine?

is there a way to accurately estimate the local storage required for netflow data?

or have I misread the release notes for the 4.0 Beta, because this is a HUGE change that requires us to look at the deployment architecture we have in place and will slow or stop the potential production deployment of 4.x

• Re: NTA 4.0 architectural changes
          jacob_beucler

Hi Richard, I think you just got the heads up, we recently started the NTA Beta and have begun talking about this.

Can the Netflow database be remote? YES

Is this local database replicated and supported using the failover engine? The NTA DB can be installed locally or remotely

is there a way to accurately estimate the local storage required for netflow data? Yes, and the configuration settings for NTA 4.0 will be flexible for controlling the DB size

or have I misread the release notes for the 4.0 Beta, because this is a HUGE change that requires us to look at the deployment architecture we have in place and will slow or stop the potential production deployment of 4.x

You are correct, these are huge changes that needed to happen; first to allievate the DB stress on the Orion DB,secondly to allow us to retain detailed data more effeciently, thirdly to extend they types of data that we gather in flows (in the future).

A couple other things that I want to clear up here:

• NTA is not becoming a stand alone module, NPM is still needed to run NTA
          • NTA will still need to have a connection to the Orion Data Base - For node statistics and CBQoS information
          • NTA will have its own FLOW Database that will be able to be installed locally OR remotely
          • Re: NTA 4.0 architectural changes
            park city

So is the DB now Hadoop or proprietary?  Can we Splunkify it?