2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 4:42 PM by mateuszj

Failover Engine and data/application protection

mateuszj

Hello,

I have a Solarwinds NCM 7.1.1 working with Orion Failover Engine 6.7 on two nodes (primary and secondary).

I have to show my client a few tests which include data/application protection.

My client would like to have protection in the situation if the executable files would be damaged.

I know that in FOE files are replicating from Active node to Passive, and I've done a following tests:

1. I've created a test text file on the Active node in TFTP folder, and it was replicated to the Passive - OK

2. I've changed a content in this file on the Active and this change replicated to the passive - OK

3. But when I changed something in this file on the Passive node (it's my simulation of file damage), it stays changed and it's not replicating. I think it should replicate from the active but it didn't.

It is possible to do this thing in Failover Engine?

Maybe there is another way how do I come up with another test which is working and includes the damage of the executable file.

• Re: Failover Engine and data/application protection
          RichardLetts

IMNSHO this is not a good idea, and possibly the wrong tool

Anyway, Look at the FOE console -> Data -> File Filters configuration to see what is replicated.

Basically, this is includes the c:\programdata\solarwinds directory, and the c:\program files(x86)\ directory (but excludes the TXT, LOG, EXE, DLL, etc... files)

(*it would be really good to move all of the config files out of the program files directory and not have such a convoluted setup...)

Replication is one way (from active to passive), and based on file-change detection. You can force a full system check to get around that (data=>replication->full system check)

if you are really worried about file corruption then look at something like tripwire.

/RjL