6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 10:56 AM by IGFCSS.DSI

Patch Managment Wizard fails when used with WOL

bsod

I have a PC and it will both WOL and shut down  using SWPM.  I can also install updates to it on demand, even 3rd party ones.  But when I run the wizard and tell it to Send WOL as a Pre Update option, then Shutdown as a Post Update option.  It fails with:

Install
      Object:
      Update retrieval failed

Details: InvalidClass Invalid class

I start a ping -t computername and 5 minutes after I start the task the PC wakes up.  Until then the task is showing Verifying Connectivity?.  As soon as the PC wakes up the task fails with the above error.  My WMI Providers are installed ok because I can view certificates and all other functions work.  I tried WMI repair and reinstall but nothing changed.  I can remove the update from the PC and have SWPM tell it to install all needed updates and it installs just fine.  When I add in the WOL it always fails.

- Joe

• Re: Patch Managment Wizard fails when used with WOL
          bsod

I've tried it on other computers and it does the same thing.  I started digging into the CBS and WMI-Operational? logs and began to get a headache.  Is there a way to add a delay before it wakes up the PC, and when the patch job starts?

- Joe

• Re: Patch Managment Wizard fails when used with WOL
              IGFCSS.DSI

Hi bsod,

That is a bug on Patch Management Wizard. I've found out about it several months ago and contacted Support about it. After several tests on my systems, we figured out that the WOL feature and the patching occur in sequence with no delay and the computers don't have enough time to boot. The first step of the patching sequence is to determine the updates needed but because the computers are still on the booting process, they cannot be contacted and the sequence times-out with that error message.

My solution was to create 2 different tasks: one to WOL the computers and another to update/shutdown the computers. Both tasks have a delay on the schedules large enough (5 minutes) for the computers to wake first and when the second task initiates they are ready to provide the information about the updates needed.