5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 11:29 AM by brainsickhater

NPM won't accept SNMP credentials

brainsickhater

I added a switch to my company's network and have been having trouble keeping the node status to up.  Every now and then, NPM will tell me the node is up, but then about four minutes later the node will go down again.  My belief is that this is because I can't get NPM to validate the SNMP read-only string that is configured on the switch. It is the same string used by countless other switches on the company's network, and some of the switches have nearly identical node settings to this problem switch, but I still can't keep the node status to up consistently. 

Does anyone know what might be the matter?

• Re: NPM won't accept SNMP credentials
          ElevenB2003

I would start by removing the switch, restarting the polling engine on your poller server (Usually main NPM server), and then re-add the node to see if that fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work, I would turn on some debugging on that switch to see if anything is happening to the SNMP agent/service on it.  Depending on what kind of switch this is, this may or may not be a viable option for you.

There are also some log files stored here I believe that may have some info for you if it's specific to Orion: C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\

I've seen similar issues to this with ESXi hosts and restarting the polling engine has fixed those for me in the past.

Hope that helps!

brainsickhater

Unfortunately I don't think I could get the polling engine restarted, just because I'm only doing some testing and asking someone to restart the entire polling engine for some tinkering around is probably not going to happen.  I think what the issue may be is that the IP address for the switch was previously used for another device and NPM has a read/write community string stored for that device that I do not know and it's looking to match that read/write string with the nonexistent read/write string on the switch.

wbrown

Up/down status is entirely dependent on ICMP rather than SNMP reachability.

My initial gues is that there is either QoS or some kind of management-plane protection limiting the number of ICMP requests in a given time interval, or there is an IDS somewhere in the path limiting the number of ICMP requests between a source-destination pair.

wbrown

Another thing to check:

Can you establish and maintain a telnet or ssh session to the problem switch?  If not then you may have another device trying to use the same IP as your switch.  However this shouldn't affect the ICMP reachability of the IP unless the offending device is blocking ICMP echo requests.