2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 8:53 AM by rlane2012

Looking for a way to parse out the internal date created field

rlane2012

I am trying to create a trend for when a VM is created and segment by month. The only way I can see to do this is to parse out the internaldatecreated field to only give the month and year (not the day and time). I am unable to find any documentation to support this option though. Does anyone know of a way to create this trend?

Thank you

• Re: Looking for a way to parse out the internal date created field
          Milan_Volejnik

Hi,

please try this:

1) create a new Trend, on Segmentation tab insert this formula: substring(/virtualMachine/internal//dateCreated,1,7)
          [see help for XPATH on the internet]

VMAN_Trend_segmentation01.PNG

2) on Dashboard create a new Trend widget (it's recommended that Mode is set to Multi-Trend Table):

VMAN_Trend_segmentation02.PNG

Please let us know if it helps or if you need further info.

• Re: Looking for a way to parse out the internal date created field
              rlane2012

When I submitted this question I wasn't even aware it was using XPath. I have since had time to research and discover a few things, but when I initially tried the substring you have it would not return the dash. Now it is returning the full 7 characters. I don't understand that, but appreciate your respone.

My solution was the string below, but I tested your string again just to be sure and it worked this time.

concat(substring(/virtualMachine/internal/dateCreated,1,4),'-', substring(/virtualMachine/internal/dateCreated,6,2))

Thank you