6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 1:38 PM by Scott Sadlocha

Strange polling problem

ACDII

I have a couple nodes that decided to have unknown interfaces, yet when puling up the resources, they show up fine. This happens occasionally and usually deleting the node and adding it back corrects it, but not this time. I have 2 nodes showing the same behavior.  What is even better, after adding these two back in, the interfaces still show unknown, but it is no longer reported as unknown on the nodes with problems.

• Re: Strange polling problem
          Scott Sadlocha

There could be a couple reasons for this. What type of devices are they? Has anything changed with regard to their config recently? Can you post a screenshot? I have seen issues with certain nodes, with a couple different scenarios. Some nodes, when a replacement is made using the same IP address, will show unknown interfaces or volumes. With these, I have deleted the unknowns and then rediscovered the new. I have also seen issues with VMs. There are situations where VM network interfaces get renamed, and NPM has an issue with his type of rename, and ends up showing an Unknown. With these, I have followed the same routine--deleted the unknown and pulled back in the new. I have also seen other issues, a bit more strange to explain, and have resolved them in various manners. Something similar was discussed in another post, http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/174311#174311

One thing to keep in mind is that many times, you don't need to delete the entire node and lose that historical data. From the Manage Nodes screen, you can just remove individual interfaces, trying tha first before moving on to anything that will cause you to lose data.

ACDII

Nothing changed other than a brief outage in the network. Ever since then, they show as unknown, even after deleting and readding the node. Very strange. What is even more strange now is they no longer show up as a problem node, even though all the interfaces are unknown.

Scott Sadlocha

Are they still responding to SNMP? Verify that SNMP is still correct on the nodes.

ACDII

Yep, still works, in fact when I pull up resources, they all come up green. Orion has no problem communicating with the routers, but for some odd reason the interfaces are unknown.  I see nothing to indicate SNMP failing or being blocked.

Scott Sadlocha

Okay, these are routers then? Cisco? I had a very similar issue in my past environment, with routers exhibiting behavior where it seemed they should be reporting interface data but were not. I did everything I could think to do from the Orion end, including completely deleting and adding the routers back in. Eventually, I turned it over to our LAN/WAN team because I was at wits end. We had ATT managed routers at the company, so our guys got in touch with ATT tech support. Unfortunately, I can't provide much in the way of details as to how it was fixed, but I can tell you it was a configuration setting on the router itself. ATT did some troubleshooting and made some changes, and all was then good. I didn't have visibilty into the routers at all, so I never got the details. This happened on several routers at different sites, and they ended up fixing them all.