4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 1:00 PM by ElevenB2003

Setting up ACP UPS Alerting

mmckeon22

Recently been tasked with the assignment of converting our APC alerting into SolarWinds, I do not have much experience so I wanted to reach out to see if anyone could help get me started. Specifically looking to set up alerting around SNMP traps on Battery notifications. All of the devices are set up in SolarWinds, I just need help constructing the alert language to grab the info from the APC's. Please advise and thanks for the help

• Re: Setting up ACP UPS Alerting
          Scott Sadlocha

I have set up quite a few APC UPS units and done alerting off of them. Not sure if you have them set up the same way, but I used a grouping of custom pollers for APC units and had them set up for each unit I had in monitoring. I was able to set up alerts when a location was on battery and others similar to that by keying in on the custom pollers. I also set up a graceful shutdown alert for APC units using the same components. For the alert trigger, I had set up Status is OnBattery on some, while others used the status along with the runtime remaining (can't recall right now what the custom poller name was). To start, make sure you have some of the APC custom pollers added to the node and showing up, then start building alerts to utilize those pollers.

mmckeon22

Ok how do I create the custom pollers. I would like to make pollers for the following: on battery, off battery, bad battery, disconnected battery, and fail self test

Scott Sadlocha

On the actual server (not in the web console), go to Start, Programs, Solarwinds Orion, Network Performance Monitor and look for Universal Device Poller (the icon looks like a green leaf). You can use this utility to add pollers for specific device types by adding the OIDs. Some of these you have to research the vendor, but APC is usually pretty straightforward. I think there might even be a few UPS OIDs in the Examples folder which is installed by default, but I can't recall whether they are APC. You can use the New Universal Device Poller to add something that doesn't show up, and it will bring up a sub-window. After you work around in there a bit you should be able to get the handle of adding. There is some search functionality to find something if you aren't exactly sure. The process is basically add a poller, then assign it to a node.

ElevenB2003

There is a great group of custom pollers already available in the Content Exchange.  All you'll need to do is download them, import them into the Universal Device Poller app, then assign them to the desired nodes, test them, and decide whether or not you'd like to display them in the web console.  After that, you can start creating custom alerts for the poller(s).

Here's a good APC poller I've used in the past: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-129094