5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 10:12 AM by jassssolar

Fortinet hardware monitoring

vbowers

With the release of FortiOS 5, I have lost the ability to monitor the hardware (CPU, memory, disk space) inside my Fortinet firewalls.  This information is available on my FortiAnalyzer, which also uses FortiOS 5, so I'm rather confused.  Has anyone else reported this issue?  Will it be addressed in an update?  This is really important for those of us with Fortinet hardware!

• Re: Fortinet hardware monitoring
          michal.hrncirik

Hi,

did you use UnDP for your previous Fortinet device polling (like this: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/41468) ?

vbowers

No, I used the built-in support.  With FortiOS 4, when you would have NPM do a List Resources, the CPU, memory, and about 4 disk drives/spaces would show up.  With the release of FortiOS 5, that does not occur for the firewalls.  It does for their FortiAnalyzer, but not the FortiGate firewalls.  They did make quite a few changes between FortiOS 4 and 5, so it's possible this affected how they present resources via SNMP.

vbowers

Interesting update to this.  We have 30 FortiGate 80C firewalls, 29 running FortiOS 5, patch 1, and one running FortiOS 5, patch 3.  8 of the systems running patch 1 and the single system running patch 3 display CPU and memory usage using the standard poller.  The other 21 FortiGates do not.  We use NCM to ensure that our configurations are identical.

So this begs the question, why do some work using the standard poller and some don't?  I watch the pages for these "non-reporting" devices load and the standard CPU and memory usage page elements try to load, but disappear once the various elements begin to display their information.  I'm *assuming* they go away because they have no data to display?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

vbowers

I have not heard from anyone in several weeks.  Are there any ideas as to why some firewalls respond to the standard CPU and memory usage poller and others do not?  I really need a consistent way to monitor these systems.  Thanks!

jassssolar

Hi,

same problem for me. We have 3 Fortigate Firewall and are using FortiOS v5.2.2. No CPU & RAM monitoring... Do version 11.5 of NPM supports these products?

Thank you!