3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 12:55 AM by PavelSuchy

Custom Alert for temperature

jobuu

I am trying to make a custom alert for a nortel5 series custom poller that takes a temperature reading.

I am using OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.45.1.6.3.7.1.1.5 and it returns my value in degrees Celsius.

I transform the results on the gauge to Farenheit using the formula CtoF({s5ChasTmpSnrTmpValue} )/2

The gauge works fine, and now to the alert...

My trigger conditions are:

Type of Property to Monitor = Custom Node Poller

Poller Name = NortelSeries5Temp

Status = Warning

Status = Critical

Reset condition = when triggers are no longer true

No Alert Suppression

Time of Day = 24x7

Trigger Action

Send a syslog message that says: ${NodeName} is experiencing temperature related issues! Current temperature is ${CustomPollerStatus.Status} °F

The issue is ${CustomPollerStatus.Status} is in degrees Celsius.  How do i convert it in the message?  Or am i using the wrong value?

• Re: Custom Alert for temperature
          PavelSuchy

Hi jobuu,

Do you use the transformed poller under the trigger conditions? If youes, it should work properly. Idealy put ${AssignmentName} into the syslog message so you will see which poller triggered your alert.

Cheers,

Pavel

jobuu

Thanks for the tip!  It's telling me that it is using the un-transformed poller.  But the name of that one is s5ChasTmpSnrTmpValue

so since my trigger says i need to use NortelSeries5, that doesn't make sense to me.

PavelSuchy

Ok, so in trigger condition the poller name NortelSeries5Temp is the name of the transformed poller, right? But in the alert action it returns the untransformed poller name. So there might be something wrong in the trigger conditions. I would suspect that you have "Trigger Alert" set to "any" of the following apply but it should be "all". Also I would check if both the pollers (C and F) are properly assigned to the node you want to monitor.

Cheers,

Pavel