4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 3:20 PM by nicole pauls

User Defined Groups and Variables

jeremya

I created a "white" list for wireless connections. Is there a way to use the variable under the User Defined Group (Name) so that when the MAC address is flagged it will email the Name that you set in the white list?

Thank you,

Jeremy

• Re: User Defined Groups and Variables
          martindl76

I hope I understand your question correctly Jeremy. When you create your whitelist use the data collected in Solarwinds as a template for creating your whitelists. This will ensure that Solarwinds can match the data in the whitelist with the data it is receiving in the event logs. Once you do this then you can use your custom User-Defined Group in your rules. I am not sure what Alert your are referring to but if you use the macaddress variable and plug in the custom "whitelist" as a condition for a response....then you should be fine. Then all you have to do is create a custom mail.

jeremya

Sorry, I guess I could have been a bit more clear. Under User Defined Groups you have 3 fields, Name, Data and Description. The Name field is a unique identifier. When I white list an item I have something similiar to this: Name: Joe Data:MAC address Description: LaptopName

I have a rule to generate an email based on a MAC address hit. The email will only supplye me with the MAC address, I would like it to include the Name field that I supplied in the User Defined Group Name field.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks,

Jeremy

martindl76

That, my friend would be a nice feature. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that capability is available yet. What you can do though as an alternative is create a spreadsheet somewhere (in SharePoint preferably) with all of the same data as in the whitelist. Then add a link in your email to the list. This is a workaround I have used in my implementation but for other reasons.

nicole pauls

For the most part, the only data we can put in e-mail is from the event itself, so UDGs are used more for matching than as lookup tables in that way. (State variables are an exception - they can contain multiple elements BUT are not multi-dimensional, just flat lists AND they don't persist over a reboot.) This would be a cool feature request - to be able to pull in supplemental information about the element or agent when sending an email.