5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 7:31 PM by rtriebwasser

Bug Reoport:  Long text in summary field causes undesired behavior

karlbundy

Despite the fact that when manually creating an alert the summary field in the web gui is very big, if the summary field contains more than 167 characters, no characters beyond this limit will be displayed in the Alert Central web GUI when viewing the details page for the alert after it has been created.  Also if the summary field contains more than approx 220 characters, then the reply email messages subject lines will not contain the needed ${ACNID:XXX} block (at least in Outlook) and will be processed as an alert rather than the reply to an existing alert. 

My team would like the ability to use the summary field as a large field as it is displayed in the web GUI, and have the email subject lines of alerts truncated to 220 characters or less so as not to interfere with ability to reply to the emails.  We would also like to have the ability for the web GUI to display the full text of the summary field, rather than to have it truncated to 167 characters, as it currently is.  If this is not possible, we would suggest to enforce a limit on the number of characters that can be entered in the summary field and make the notes field the large field, and have the ability for it to enter and display in the web GUI long messages/notes.

• Re: Bug Reoport:  Long text in summary field causes undesired behavior
          chris.jones

I have subjects lines up to 900 characters and it still has the ${ACNID:XXX} at the end.  I think around 960 to 990 is where the subject line has issues.  The RFC for email messages has a defined limit around the 980 to 1000 range.  There is also a per line character limit for email subjects.

Really the summary should only be a summary of the issue and not be very long.  If you want to see the whole original message then you can do that in the individual alert view by selecting the 'Original Email' view/tab.  Would it be helpful to attach the original email as an attachment to the email message that is sent to the assignee? 

• Re: Bug Reoport:  Long text in summary field causes undesired behavior
              karlbundy

I am seeing the issue with long email subject lines in Outlook (with MS Exchange as the email server).  For example, I pasted in this text block into the summary field when creating a manual alert in the web GUI:

"No part of this document may be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds and its respective licensors."

When the email arrives in Outlook, the subject line of the email is:

"[AC-Notify] No part of this document may be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the written consent of SolarWinds. All"

And when I click any of the buttons in the email to generate a reply email the subject line is (notice the missing ${ACNID:XXX} block):

"RE: [AC-Notify] No part of this document may be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the written consent of SolarWinds."

I believe that this is caused by outlook (I am using 2010) which it appears will only allow subject lines of 256 or shorter.  It would be great to have Alert Central truncate the email subject line to be less than 200 or so characters so that there is no chance of missing the ${ACNID:XXX} block with people using Outlook (and potentially other email clients).

It would be great if the original email were attached to the alert as you suggested, that would really help my team out!