2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 3:08 AM by frama

Recognize Alerts without being constantly on the screen

frama

Good Afternoon Thwack-Community!

I do face a tricky requirement at the moment.

Our Orion handels several hundreds of nodes, apllications, components, etc.

We created also different maps and views for different departments. All is working fine, but the alert handling is not that easy.

Lets says, there is a apllication group down. It is marked as critical (big red sign) and an eMail is sent.

So you will regognize the incident if you switch to the screen or if you always check the incoming eMails in short intervalls.

But as some of you might now, many people are faced with x windows and a constant flood of messages of all kind of sources.

So this referes all to a "active" behavior, where I actively work with Orion.

My question now is: What kind of "passive ways" are available for Orion, to give an user a clear notification he can not miss?

Is there for example an orion browser plugin? Is there a plugin which brings something in focus? Are there ways of playing media on alerts? Etc.

I hope you might be able to show me some ways, ideas, possibilities, etc.!

Thank you very much in advance!

-FRA

• Re: Recognize Alerts without being constantly on the screen
          Scott Sadlocha

Where I am currently employed, the Solarwinds implementation is just getting off the ground and alerting needs to be determined. However, at the company I just came from, we had a clear alerting and escalation path, and it was very successful. However, we ended up incorporating a third party tool in the alerting process to give us what we need. Still, I have not looked at the updated Alert Central, so you might be able to set the same thing up using that module.

Our process was as follows.

1. When an alert is generated, it immediately fires off an email to our ticketing system, generating a ticket for the issue (there are routing rules in the ticketing system to route it to the correct queue).

2. It then fires off an email to everyone in the escalation group.

3. It then starts its formal escalation by sending an SMS to the primary alert recipient.

4. If the SMS is not acknowledged in 5 minutes, an automated phone call is made to the primary recipient.

5. If still not acknowledged after 5 more minutes, the process escalates to the backup alert recipient with an SMS message.

6. This process of SMS>5 minute wait>Phone>5 minute wait>Escalate continues through the escalation chain.

The escalation groups are typically set up with alerting following this pattern: Primary>Backup>Manager>IT Executive Leader

We typically had nodes set up with an escalation group using custom fields under Custom Properties for Nodes. Many nodes also had another group on them, strictly for email. This was useful in situations where we wanted to alert an application owner that there was an issue with their Windows server that Windows Admins were working on (Windows Admins would have received the escalation).

Hope the information helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful