3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 3:02 PM by Scott Sadlocha

WSUS Client Communication to Server 2012

amartel

using your tool iv found out that i might have a couple errors on my clients.

i see them checking in correctly and seeing updates but i have the following out put:

# Solarwinds® Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent

# 6/5/2013

Machine state

User rights:                                       User has administrator rights

Update service status:                             Running

Background Intelligent Transfer service status:    Running

OS Version:                                        Windows 7 Enterprise  Service Pack 1

Windows update agent version:                      7.6.7600.256 (WU Agent is OK)

Windows Update Agent configuration settings

Automatic Update:                                  Enabled

Options:                                           Automatically download and notify of installation

Use WSUS Server:                                   Enabled

Windows Update Server:                             http://foundry.earth.delorme.com:8530

Windows Update Status Server:                      http://foundry.earth.delorme.com:8530

WSUS URLs are identical:                           Identical

WSUS URL is valid:                                 Valid URL

WSUS Server Connectivity

clientwebservice/client.asmx:                      OK

simpleauthwebservice/simpleauth.asmx:              OK

content:                                           Error: Forbidden (Incorrect proxy client configuration - use settings tab to test proxy configuration settings; may also be caused by misconfigured SSL implementation or access rights on WSUS server)

selfupdate/iuident.cab:                            OK

iuident.cab:                                       Error: NotFound (Omitting required port suffix on URL to access WSUS installed to port 8530 or resource is unreachable)

looks like im missing content and iuident.cab

should this be looked into further?

thanks

• Re: WSUS Client Communication to Server 2012
          Scott Sadlocha

The last time I used the tool, I was seeing the same message for the Content entry, though I wasn't sure why, though I suspected something with our proxy configuration scripting. The directory was correct and permissions were good. Everything else came up green for me, with the exception of that. I can say that it never seemed to have a negative effect. Computers still downloaded updates from our downstream WSUS servers. I never ran into an issue with the iuident.cab check though.

• Re: WSUS Client Communication to Server 2012
            Lawrence Garvin

WSUS Server Connectivity

content:                                           Error: Forbidden (Incorrect proxy client configuration - use settings tab to test proxy configuration settings; may also be caused by misconfigured SSL implementation or access rights on WSUS server)

This is a unique issue affecting some WSUS servers, because the Diagnostic Tool improperly assumes all HTTP 403 errors are proxy errors. As it happens, if the Directory Browsing module is installed on IIS7.x/IIS8.x, but directory browsing is not permitted on the target (as is the case with the /content v-dir), IIS returns an HTTP 403.14 ... the DiagTool describes that as a proxy issue. It's not. A WSUS server should not have the Directory Browsing module installed. If the machine is a dedicated WSUS server, uninstall the Directory Browsing module, and this message will clear. If the machine has some other app/service/website installed that requires the Directory Browsing module, then this message is unavoidable, and meaningless.

iuident.cab:                                       Error: NotFound (Omitting required port suffix on URL to access WSUS installed to port 8530 or resource is unreachable)

Under normal circumstances, this is a missing file, almost certainly. There should be a copy of iuident.cab in the root folder of the WSUS website and the root folder of the Default Web Site when WSUS v3.2 is installed. The file source is %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\selfupdate. However, WSUS v6 does not use the Default Web Site, and it may be that we're checking the Default Web Site (even if WSUS is installed to port 8530), in which case on WS2012 this would also be a false indication.