This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

The Dameware mini remote service is not running on XXX

Note: This is a topic brought over from DameWare Forums which has been closed. If you wish to engage in this discussion, just comment here.

The Dameware mini remote service is not running on XXX.
by Jodi on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:28 pm

The full text of the message is The Dameware mini remote service is not running on xxx. Would you like to start it now? I answer OK and get "Unable to Start Service; System Error 2; The system cannot find the file specified. It started on a server this morning. After doing a random check of the computers on our domain I have found that it is random. Some machines are ok, some I can't access. It is not dependent on a specific operating system. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
by bryan on Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Hello Jodi,

Exactly what version of the MRC Client Agent Service do you have installed on these remote machines (right-click on DWRCS.EXE, then select the Version Tab)?

Also, what Operating System and Service Pack level is installed on these remote machines? Are these 64-bit Operating Systems?

Also, did you recently install, or update definitions for any type of Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software? Because it could be that this software is mistakenly flagging some of the files within the MRC CLient Agent Service.

Microsoft's System Error: 2 basically means File Not Found. So based upon this error it appears that some of the necessary files for the MRC CLient Agent Service may have been deleted on these remote machines somehow. They also could have been mistakenly flagged and deleted by some type of Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software on your machine or your network as well.

Therefore, the first thing you need to do is verify that all the files are still there in the System32 folder on the remote machine (SYSWOW64 for 64-bit Operating Systems). If any files are missing, then this is the source of your issues, and you'll have to track down exactly what deleted these files on these machines.

For a listing of necessary files, you can take a look at the following KB article on our website:

How To Manually Install or Remove the Mini Remote & NT Utilities Client Agents
http://www.dameware.com/support/kb/article.aspx?ID=100000

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer
DameWare Development, LLC.
http://www.dameware.com

by Jodi on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Bryan,

The DWRCS.exe file is version 5.1.1.0. We are using 32 bit computers running Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2.

One of the machines we can't access has the DWRCS.exe file but it has been renamed to DWRCS.exe.manifest. Some of the machines don't have the file at all.

Our AntiVirus software is Computer Associates and it checks for updates each day and will download them to the individual computers if needed on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help.

Jodi
by bryan on Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:30 am

Hi Jodi,

You're welcome.
One of the machines we can't access has the DWRCS.exe file but it has been renamed to DWRCS.exe.manifest
Actually, the manifest file is a valid file, so it appears your DWRCS.EXE file has been deleted, not renamed. So this is most likely due to your CA eTrust software, either within the Anti-Virus portion of the software, or within the Pest Patrol portion of the software.

Therefore, all you should have to do is define an exception for our software in either portion of the CA software (AV or Pest Patrol) so it does not delete any files for our software.

I hope this helps.

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer

by bryan on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:33 am

Hi again Jodi,

Here is some additional information I received from another customer on this. Many thanks go out to Zac T. for this information. Hopefully this will help you out:
Here is what worked for me…

1. Log into the E-Trust management console
2. click on the policy management tab at the top of the page
3. under the policies section, change the application dropdown to eTrust PestPatrol and the Type dropdown to Pest Exclusion
4. on the right side of the page change the tab to “Pests” and click the change button.
a. In the box type DameWare and click search.
b. Highlight “DameWare Mini Remote Control” and hit the over arrow so it moves to the Excluded Pests box on the right
c. To close click the “Set Exclude List” button at the bottom
d. Click apply in the Policy Management tab to save those settings
5. Change the tab to “Paths”
a. Click Add
b. Type “Program Files\DameWare Development\DameWare NT Utilities” in the box and click “Set Exclude Path”. (I also added “c:\windows\system32\dwrcs.exe” but I don’t know if that is necessary)
c. Click apply in the Policy Management tab to save the settings
6. the last step is to assign the group to these policies
a. click the “Assign” button
b. navigate to the organization to assign the policy to, move the group to the right and click “assign branches”

that should do it…

This is what worked for us and I hope it helps someone else out that might experience similar issues.

Zac T
Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer

by Jodi on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks Bryan and Zac T,

We excluded the dwrcs.exe in Pest Patrol and everything is back to normal (at least on the computers we have copied the file back to). Your help has been much appreciated.

Jodi
by bryan on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Jodi,

You're absolutely welcome, and thanks so much for letting us know this resolved your issues.
I'm glad we were able to help out.

Best Regards,
Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer

by wuliping0011 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Bryan wrote:Hello Jodi,

Exactly what version of the MRC Client Agent Service do you have installed on these remote machines (right-click on DWRCS.EXE, then select the Version Tab)?

Also, what Operating System and Service Pack level is installed on these remote machines? Are these 64-bit Operating Systems?

Also, did you recently install, or update definitions for any type of Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software? Because it could be that this software is mistakenly flagging some of the files within the MRC CLient Agent Service.

Microsoft's System Error: 2 basically means File Not Found. So based upon this error it appears that some of the necessary files for the MRC CLient Agent Service may have been deleted on these remote machines somehow. They also could have been mistakenly flagged and deleted by some type of Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware software on your machine or your network as well.

Therefore, the first thing you need to do is verify that all the files are still there in the System32 folder on the remote machine (SYSWOW64 for 64-bit Operating Systems). If any files are missing, then this is the source of your issues, and you'll have to track down exactly what deleted these files on these machines.

For a listing of necessary files, you can take a look at the following KB article on our website:

How To Manually Install or Remove the Mini Remote & NT Utilities Client Agents
http://www.dameware.com/support/kb/article.aspx?ID=100000Replica chanle handbags

though that i know a lot.thanks