1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 8:34 AM by David Di Blasio

Patch Management integration with SCCM 2012

llarava

Hi,

I am looking for some guidance on how to integrate Patch Manager with Configuration Manager 2012.

In our production env. we are running CM2012 single site server to manage 600 laptops. For the time being we have SUP installed and configured and we are deploying MS updates on monthly basis.

That being said, we are purchase Patch Manager and we would like to integrate the product with CM 2012 in order to manage the non MS updates.

We have a lab env. that mimics the production CM2012 single site server as well as some Win7 ENT wireless clients. My understanding is that we have to install the Patch Manager server which we are going to use a dedicated server.

A few questions:

1.) Does PM leverage SUP?

2.) Installing the PM on it's dedicated server - Are the PM binaries going to detect the CM2012 installation?

3.) Are there any changes made on the CM 2012 console once the PM is installed?

On the TEST env. I am installing the PM server on its dedicated server as described in the Admin Guide pag 10 - Installingthe Patch Manager PAS then I am planning to use the Internal Database for the PM server and then select the System Center Configuration Manager Extension Pack.

I will continue the discussion with my findings/issues questions.

Any feedback assistance is welcome.

Thanks.

• Re: Patch Management integration with SCCM 2012
          David Di Blasio

Hi,

1.) Does PM leverage SUP?

Yes. In SCCM environments the core feature Patch Manager brings to the table is a tested and ready to publish third party catalog. Patch Manager simply publishes these updates to the SUP, and then they are handled just like any other update in SCCM.

2.) Installing the PM on it's dedicated server - Are the PM binaries going to detect the CM2012 installation?

Not directly. You'll have the ability to publish any updates you've deemed needed in your environment. From here you'll build normal software deployments to handle the update process.

3.) Are there any changes made on the CM 2012 console once the PM is installed?

One note about this as it comes up from time to time. Make sure you have the SCCM console installed on the Patch Manager server prior to installing Patch Manager. During the installation of Patch Manager a detection is run to see if the SCCM console exists, and if so it will integrate the Patch Manager tools. Once integrated, you won't really need to access the Patch Manager MMC console as all of the tools are made available directly within the SCCM console.  This integration will only be visible on the server hosting Patch Manager / SCCM Console.