5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 7:42 AM by rgeist

Additional License Needed for Additional Polling Engine?

dufer

My firm needs to add an additional polling engine as we are running at 95% capacity on our single polling engine. Do we need to purchase an additional license for this additional polling engine?

Thanks.

• Re: Additional License Needed for Additional Polling Engine?
          mgibson

The quick answer is YES you will need a license for an additional poller. However, I am curious to know how you came to the conclusion that you are at 95% capacity. I have found that the main limitations is the hardware itself.

dufer

Here is a screenshot of my polling settings:

Am I correct in my statement that we are at 95% polling capacity?

rgeist

Yep. Ours got like that.  We did end up getting two extra pollers (along with their licences). When we weren't in production, I added every single node and interface we had to one poller which resulted in it being like 800% capacity. What happens then is that they "throttle" your polling times. So even though we had it set to say, 1 min, it would actually poll less often.  This was definitely a software limitation as our box was very able to handle all our polling. They said that the limitation is based on their testing for an optimal polling environment and if you get out of those specs they deem to be right, you get throttled.

dufer

Yes, but we can't afford the throttling; we have monitoring SLA's with our customers that need to be met.

rgeist

Then it seems like you're just going to have to get an additional poller.  I know that we tried really hard to get around it in our environment. We even talked to one of their PMs to try and get a work around.  If you know of any interfaces that you are willing to part with, you can try weeding them out, which will reduce the number of interfaces you're monitoring and that may help with the polling limit.  Of course if every interface you monitor is already essential for your monitoring, then this will not work.  I know that I don't monitor every interface on every node we have.

If you don't want to get thottled and you're approaching your polling limit, then it seems to me that you're just going to have to buy another polling engine and a license to go with it and add them to your environment.  I guess you could try talking to Solarwinds directly about your options if you feel as if this solution is inadequate.