4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 12:04 AM by cliton1981

Total percent utilization interface chart?

ttl

I'm trying to create two interface charts, one which has Tx and Rx as separate items for a switch interface, and one that has the Tx + Rx for the same interface. However, the latter chart is wrong; it can't possibly be showing Tx + Rx... ?

Here is the Tx and Rx graph:

Here is the Tx + Rx graph. Notice how it's obviously not Tx + Rx, which would be 70-90%.

• Re: Total percent utilization interface chart?
          essby

When you are looking at a duplex circuit you have equal bandwidth both ways, so when you combine Tx and Rx your total bandwidth doubles. The combined graph should look more like an average of the 2 individual graphs.

For example on a 10 mbps circuit

20% receive utilization is 2 mbps

40% transmit utilization is 4 mbps

combined is 6 mbps out of 20 mbps or 30% Total utilization

ttl

This seems like faulty logic. I'm paying for a 10Mb circuit, and I'm only going to be able to Transmit or Receive at a maximum of 10 Mb. You can't combine them to get 20 Mb going either way, so calling it 20 Mb is a misnomer. Not to mention, when you add the chart item, Solarwinds even calls it "Rx + Tx" implying that the values should be added together. If they can't accurately represent total usage, this should be removed and Rx and Tx percent utilization only should be available.

essby

I agree that as a percentage the concept of adding transmit and receive seems a bit misleading.  You are correct that you could not exceed 10 Mb on either the transmit or receive side. You could however have 100% utilization on both sides or 10 Mb in and 10 Mb out at the same time, and this is where the 20 Mb would come into play. If you do not change the total bandwidth when both sides max out, and you add them together, you would see the situation as 200% utilization.