4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 12:04 AM by cliton1981

Total percent utilization interface chart?

ttl

I'm trying to create two interface charts, one which has Tx and Rx as separate items for a switch interface, and one that has the Tx + Rx for the same interface. However, the latter chart is wrong; it can't possibly be showing Tx + Rx... ?

Here is the Tx and Rx graph:

Here is the Tx + Rx graph. Notice how it's obviously not Tx + Rx, which would be 70-90%.

• Re: Total percent utilization interface chart?
          essby

When you are looking at a duplex circuit you have equal bandwidth both ways, so when you combine Tx and Rx your total bandwidth doubles. The combined graph should look more like an average of the 2 individual graphs.

For example on a 10 mbps circuit

20% receive utilization is 2 mbps

40% transmit utilization is 4 mbps

combined is 6 mbps out of 20 mbps or 30% Total utilization

• Re: Total percent utilization interface chart?
              ttl

This seems like faulty logic. I'm paying for a 10Mb circuit, and I'm only going to be able to Transmit or Receive at a maximum of 10 Mb. You can't combine them to get 20 Mb going either way, so calling it 20 Mb is a misnomer. Not to mention, when you add the chart item, Solarwinds even calls it "Rx + Tx" implying that the values should be added together. If they can't accurately represent total usage, this should be removed and Rx and Tx percent utilization only should be available.