10 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 11:26 AM by jimshank

Purpose of ${ACNID:nnn}

jimshank

The ${ACNID:nnn} field clutters up the subject line. I assume this is used to allow Alert Central to route messages properly. Could this be moved to the body of the message?

• Re: Purpose of ${ACNID:nnn}
          nicole pauls

Actually, I think it appears in both

We've had this request before, though. Maybe a checkbox in Settings where you could control which one (or both) it gets inserted into?

jimshank

You are correct. I looked at the email content directly and hidden outside of the HTML field is the ACNID

------=_Part_73_1473295319.1369336626620

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>

<body>

<!-- ${ACNID:516} -->

A checkbox to disable the subject line inclusion of the ACNID would be great.

chris.jones

Might be possible.  We do put in multiple places but if the original body is not returned then we need it in the subject.  There are many factors involved.  The subject is a good place to track the number which is why many other tracking systems put the ids in the subject (and bodies).  Although for AC the id is not displayed in the UI so having it displayed in the emails does not help much.

smartd

Can we get rid of the [AC-Notify] at the start of the subject?

nicole pauls

Those are there for your benefit, so if there's a way we could make them more useful, let us know. We put them in so you could tell quickly in the subject line what happened - did the alert get assigned/reassigned, acknowledged, or is this just more information about the alert?

jimshank

That one I don't mind so much because, at a glance, I can tell if it's new, update, etc.

[AC-Assign] -> Assigned to someone

[AC-Activity] -> Change in status

[AC-Notify] -> Notification has gone out

smartd

Change is status?  That would be great.

Rather than the Email subject = Summary, I'd like that to be a separate item.

I'd like the text captured by each filter to be saved into a variable, and then allow us to define each item using a combination of the captured text, fixed text, or other variables.

With this said, I'd like a change is status, and have the Email subject contain the object, and the severity (where I capture the ticket status)

It also would be nice if the messages threaded for the user, so maintaining an In-reply-to header would be helpful.

-=Dan=-

jimshank

Remember that you can customize the subject line between the [AC-Flag] and ACNID by using the "Alert Sharing" tab of Advanced Alert Manager. Most, if not all, of the variables that are allowed in the Trigger Actions will work in that Alert Subject field. You can also use SQL statements.

See Customizing Alert Central Subject Lines for more discussion there.

I typically copy the subject line from the email trigger action over to start. Here is one of the more complete ones.

Volume ${SQL:Select Substring ('${Caption}',1,3) AS Caption} on ${Node.Caption} is currently at ${VolumePercentUsed} full

2013-05-31_09-48-40.png

Results in the subject line:

[AC-Notify] Volume F:\ on ITS-SQLSVR02-DR is currently at 90.29508 full ${ACNID:1076}

smartd

I've been working specifically with Email sources.  This is FAR less powerful and you can't control the subject field except for what you capture as summary, and then the alert itself has no body.

It looks like I'm going to have to run procmail and tweak the email before it hits the Alert Central mailbox to manipulate the message so Alert Central can do appropriate things with it.  Or maybe it will be better to manipulate the email coming out of Alert Central.  The bottom line is that the Email functionality just isn't powerful enough in the delivered tool.

-=Dan=-