This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ANNOUNCING GENERAL AVAILABILITY OF NPM 10.5

Today I am very pleased to announce the General Availability of Network Performance Monitor 10.5. The most noticeable features and enhancements include:

• Routing information including alerting for major routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, BGP)
    • View and search in routing tables.
    • See changes in default routes and flapping routes
    • View router topology and neighbor statuses
  • New Interface filtering UI to import discovery results:
    • Exclude virtual interfaces and access ports, or specific interface type
    • Select interfaces based on pattern matching including Regex formulas
    • The new preview UI for final selection of imported interfaces
  • Multicast traffic information monitoring and alerting, including topology information.
    • Automatic detection of multicast protocol and multicast group import into NPM
    • Display multicast information, route information, and device information in a single unified view
    • View multicast topology using upstream and downstream device list information
    • Generate intelligent alerts based on multicast errors
  • Interface Auditing
    • View user actions related to interface monitoring in NPM

You can download new version from your customer portal

you can read more about the content here.

• Our upgrade install from 10.4.x to 10.5 Release failed. Our engineers have opened a ticket with support.

We are currently without monitoring, and awaiting a response.

Just wanted others informed in case this is the beginning of an issue.

• Our upgrade issue was resolved by support. Details a this message

• Downloaded and installed - no problems.

I cant seem to find the oprtion for creating a new report from the web gui, did it make it into the final 10.5?

• I installed v5 and so far, so good.  I have been trying to find the new multicast information but have been unable to find any switches that actually show multicast info.  Is there something special that I need to do to insure that multicast is being monitored?  I searched the Admin Guide and online help for details but was unable to find anything.

• Hello,

there can be multiple reasons. For example, multicast routing is currently supported on Cisco Devices only. If your devices are from Cisco, you can try to check the following:

1. ipMRouteEnable (1.3.6.1.2.1.83.1.1.1), returns '1'
    2. ipMRouteEntryCount (1.3.6.1.2.1.83.1.1.7), return value must be higher than 0

Robert

• "For example, multicast routing is currently supported on Cisco Devices only"

What what what???

Please read that its doesn't say CISCO only or other vendor....

SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor Release Notes

• We tested on Cisco only. even though that rease notes do not say Cisco, multicast in NPM is retrieved via SNMP protocol and we use OIDs mentioned above. That means it will be polled from all devices responding to this OIDs.

What vendor support are you looking for?

• Hi Michal

It's not about vendor support its about Solarwinds as a multi-vendor software.

I know cisco have 80% of the  Enterprise market ...

I don't care :-)

When Solarwinds Market NPM as

"Multi-Vendor Device Support"

Network Performance Monitor supports heterogeneous networks with out-of-the-box device support for devices from leading hardware vendors.

You just can't write that its supportet on Cisco only..

/SJA

• Hi Shay,

that's why we didn't write "it is supported" on Cisco only. We are always keeping in mind the majority HW of customers requesting a certain feature. It was Cisco gear for multicast but it doesn't mean it won't work for other devices that respond to the same OIDs. But we tested on Cisco devices primarily in order to validate the functionality in our lab and on customer's environment. I didn't get any hw incompatibility reports  during beta testing phase, but if you have an other HW gear we are definitely willing to investigate.

For the rest of NPM features, we are have true multivendor support (performace polling on interface utilization, cpu, mem, volumes and HW details supports dozens of vendors), wireless controllers and APs are also supported for various ones and we are always listening to customer needs.

Obivously, there are some specific requests like BigIP F5 load balancers which we supported comparing to the other vendors, but that's because people are not requesting that or there is just few requests vs. thousands NPM users who want support for something else.

It's not that we would focus on Cisco because "it's Cisco", actually we don not prefer that, we are neutral and just reflecting customer requests.

feel free to ping me if you would like to talk about something specific.

thanks,

Michal