This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reboot Database server

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi,

I wanted to know that if database server is rebooted what will be the risks? And how much time will it take approximately??

Regards,

Kiran Javed

• The boot time varies depending on how large the DB server really is.  As for risks I always have a backup ready and some server techs available in the event it dies but normally I just do a reboot and comes back on it's own.  I think mine took only a few minutes to boot actually but I was just watching pings from command prompt. 

• It never hurt to stop the SolarWinds (or any other dependant) services before bouncing the DB server as well.

• this will also largely depend on the system you are using.  I have an old Sun X4600 and it takes about 10min to reboot.  I reboot once every week on a schedule.

I'm working to migrate to a [actual] new system though and don't plan on doing that scheduled reboot.

if your DB server is separate from everything else, then your site will just give you an error saying can't talk to SQL.  if on same system as primary NPM, then your site will go down hard as the primary web server will go down.

This really depends on how you have your environment set up.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to njoylif

If i stop the sql server before reboot, then after reboot and on starting sql server how much time will it take to come in proper working state???

• That answer was a bit flippant because it's so variable. In my environment the database and solarwinds servers are physical servers and are fairly powerful with a lot of memory and good network infrastructure between them.

We don't reboot the database servers very often, and when we do it's normally to apply patches. We have a redundant database pair and replicate the database between them. when we work on one database server we failover to the other: that takes about 15 seconds for the DNS change to propogate out, and about 30 seconds for the SQLserver to become active; then NPM polling switches over really quite fast.

My experience/observation here is that OUR database servers take around 9 minutes to complete a reboot, and re-establish sync.

Once the database server comes back it take less than 15 seconds for OUR NPM processes to reconnect to the database, and then another couple of minutes for other processes like UDT, etc to catch up (I don't think UDT polling is as critical to monitoring the network.)

I am trying to work out if the answer to your questions makes any operational difference, i.e. if the answer is 15 seconds or 10 minutes does this make any operational changes for you?

Richard

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to RichardLetts

In my environment, NPM server and database server are virtual machines. And there is no redundant database server.  Database server has 6GB RAM and 2 processors.

• My opinion:

If the database server is separate from the Orion server, during the SQL reboot will be the polled data stored in MSMQ. After the reboot finishes, data from MSMQ will be transfered to the DB. Only DB depending services (e.g. website, alerting) won't be processing data while the DB is down. By default MSMQ size is not very large, but should cover the DB outage time in most cases (of course depends on number of polled elements, Orion modules, etc...). The must here is static IP address for both servers.

• if you reboot the DB the website will be still up as long as you don't reboot the primary app server.  You will simply not be collecting any data or view any data on the website untill DB is finished booting.