17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 10:07 AM by planglois

Mulitcast event logging

tadavis

Is there any way to turn off the mulitcast monitoring?  Our even manager is filling up with these messages and is shadowing other important events.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

• Re: Mulitcast event logging
          chipsch

It looks like there is an alert enabled by default in alert manager: Alert me when a multicast routing group at node changes it status. I would try to disable that and see if that meets your requirement. The trigger is set to write to the event log.

branfarm

I was also going to suggest removing the Multicast Routing resource from the node, if you don't care about multicast at all.

I'm having a similar issue, but I'm interested in keeping the multicast monitoring -- I just don't want the alerts. I've disabled the multicast alerts, but I'm still getting events in the event log.

tadavis

How do I do this for 400+ nodes?

>>> branfarm <solarwindscommunityteam@communications.solarwinds.com> 5/10/2013 11:10 AM >>>

thwack

Mulitcast event logging created by branfarm ( http://thwack.solarwinds.com/people/branfarm ) in Network Performance Monitor - View the full discussion ( http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/200687#200687 )

I was also going to suggest removing the Multicast Routing resource from the node, if you don't care about multicast at all.

I'm having a similar issue, but I'm interested in keeping the multicast monitoring -- I just don't want the alerts. I've disabled the multicast alerts, but I'm still getting events in the event log.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on thwack ( http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/200687#200687 )

Start a new discussion in Network Performance Monitor by email ( mailto:discussions-community-networkmanagement_tht-orionnetworkperformancemonitor@solarwinds.hosted.jivesoftware.com ) or at thwack

michal.hrncirik

Hi, thanks for a feedback.

Disabling of alerts will apply to all nodes. however if you want to remove multicast polling you have to do that via "list resources".

Let me ask you a question, you saying you have 400 nodes which are part of multicast groups and you do not care of multicast monitoring or are you using different application for that?

tadavis

Not all 400 nodes are part of multicast, but there are a lot.  When we upgraded NPM, this was turned on by default.  it would be nice if there was an admin setting to disable by default for all nodes, then turn on for whatever nodes we see fit.

rgward

Michal,

We just upgraded to from 10.3 to 10.5 and multicast polling is killing the NPM database and impacting overall SQL Server performance (high CPU) causing NetPerfMon deadlocks. Our UnDP pollers and the AlertingEngine are also greatly impacted and intermittently working (frequent database timeouts and unable to make database connection errors reported in logs).  Web GUI becomes unresponsive over time (at least once per day so far). Restarting Orion services in hopes to flush the deadlocks doesn't help.  The only way out so far has been to reboot the SQL server.

We have a very robust SQL 2008 R2 server that supports several databases and had been performing well without issues prior to v10.5 upgrade.  We opened a case with MS Tier 3 SQL Support and they diagnosed issues relating to multicast SQL queries and procedure. For instance,

EXECUTE DBO.NPM_MULTICAST_COUNTINGGROUPSTATUS

EXECUTE DBO.NPM_MULTICAST_DELETEROUTINGTABLE @MULTICASTID, @CHANGETYPE, @LASTCHANGEUTC 

Huge blocking chains. For most of the cases the head blocker is PROCEDURE [dbo].[NPM_Multicast_DeleteRoutin from program SolarWinds.DataProcessor@domain-DataProcessorHost.

We have 500+ layer3 nodes and would like to disable multicast across all devices.  As you mention, you can use List Resources function to do this but this only works for one node at a time.  How can we do this in bulk?

We have opened SW case #496889 and have provided diagnostics and the Microsoft's analysis.