This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Poor performance and timeouts when using Orion integration module

When attempting to use the Orion integration module to get information on a patch (for example, click on a patch from the "Top 10 Patches missing") if takes several minutes to get the basic information and then it does not return the WSUS groups and the missing count. Randomly this does not at all and timesout. Is the data being requested from the Orion database or the patch manager db?

Mike

• Orion is typically slow after installation as the pages have to be compiled. The data displayed in the "Patches" tab is pulled from the Patch Manager database, and then cached in the Orion database to speed things up. Try clicking the load newest data button and let it refresh. Thing should speed up and run normally once this data is all cached locally in the Orion db.

• My installation has been in since the middle of last week and I continue to have these performance issues. The automatic refresh from orion was set to 4 hours instead of 5 hours so I have set it back to the default. I'm also wondering if our DBAs need to look at adding some additional indexes to the SQL database if we have some new tables in the database. Is there any way to debug what is going on in the background?

Mike

• There's some diagnostics that could be analyzed, however I think we should start off a little simpler. What are the specs of the Orion/SQL server, and what software is currently running on this box.

• Here's the specs and I believe the database is over 10GB in size.

box 1 - Main Orion server - VM with 8 vCPU, 12GB, Windows 2008 R2

box 2 - Additional poller/patch manager - VM with 4 vCPU, 6GB, Windows 2008 R2

SQL Server - SQL 2008 R2 (Cluster) - 12 CPU, 148 GB memory, Windows 2008 R2

Orion 2013.1.0 Box 1

NPM 10.5 Box 1

SAM 5.5.0 Box 1

PM 1.85 Box 2

IPAM 3.1.1 Box 1

NTA 3.11.0 Box 1

IVIM 1.6.0 Box 3 (not given spec)

• Provided you have fast storage (raid 1+0) on the database server, the specs listed should be adequate. I'd say you might have good cause to open a case with support so one of us can take a look at your diagnostics.