4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 6:40 AM by achogg

License won't activate Virtual Machine

achogg

We are using toolset v10.8 and currently out of support with Solarwinds.  We are trying to move this to a Virtual Machine and did so by cloning the existing machine.  When started on the VM the license (not surprisingly is not valid).  The problem we are having is that although customer service have reset the key for us (3 times now) the key is not accepted.  On looking at the customer portal it shows that the key is ready for activation.  On trying to activate it on the server it says ‘The activation key you supplied has already been used’.  When we then look at the status on the portal again it says the key is now active.

We have now tried a toolset re-install on the VM and a re-load of the VM after trying to apply the license.

I have asked customer services to reset the key again and I will try a manual install.

Anyone have any experience of this or issues with VMs? 

• Re: License won't activate Virtual Machine
          rsvelavan

Hello

First of all  you need to deactivate the license from your old machine,follow below steps to deactivate .

Steps to deactivate:

1. Run the License Manager tool (Start-- All Programs --SolarWinds Engineer's Toolset --Utilities -- click Install License Manager)
          2. Select you Engineer's Toolset license and deactivate it

Steps to Activate:

1. Run the License Manager tool (Start-- All Programs --SolarWinds Engineer's Toolset --Utilities -- click Install License Manager)
          2. Activate your license with the new key

Thanks

Senthil

• Re: License won't activate Virtual Machine
              achogg

Thanks for the quick reply.

We took the clone and created the Virtual Machine. On it not working, we deactivated the license on the physical box, requested a licence reset and tried to activate this on the Virtual machine but it is failing. Starting license manger it says ‘there is a problem with your licensing system’ (this is even after a reinstall of the software – which does not look like it completely clears out the reg entries etc. ). Your reply has made me think however that as it deactivated successfully on the physical machine not the VM, that I clone the physical machine again in its deactivated state. What do you think?