This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

File change monitoring in Linux

Hi Guys,

Can LEM monitor file changes in Linux.

like for example if I made changes in /etc/passwd LEM will send notification that the file had changed.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

• Hi Sniffer,

I'm looking at this myself on a specific Linux box, from what I can see their does not appear to be a connector for Linux file system auditing. One thing I am in the process of doing is modifying syslog\rsyslog to forward events as well as the Linux agent. this may parse and pass more detailed event information.

Matt

• I suggest you look into LEM's auditd connector tool. You may be able to use auditd to monitor actions on files. Here is a link that may help Chapter�32.�Introducing an Audit Rule Set

It is for Suse but auditd works the same around the board......GoodLuck!

Oh, it would be nice for Solarwinds to build a connector to Ossec HIDS. This would be magnificent!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to martindl76

Hey Martin, we do have a couple of requests for OSSEC - one to cover just OSSEC alerts, one to cover the general events. The alerts one is higher on the list since the data is pretty well formatted and we've had a few requests for it. As always, you can submit a support case or hit up the feature requests forum to vote. emoticons_wink.png