This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Duplicate Node

I want to check if I have a duplicate Node or not (e.g. Nodes that had been discovered under different IP addresses at different times).

If I check it using Database Manager, it would take some times to check it one by one.

I tried to do SQL query, but haven't figure out the script.

Could anyone help me?

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, can Solarwinds tell us if we already have IP Address or Nodes in the Database?

So it would prevent us from double entry.

• NPM detects when you try to add a node with a duplicate IP. It will not add a new node, but simply will be as you did a rediscovery and edit its properties. You can recognize it as it will auto populate the original custom properties and such. Not sure what happens if it is due to a ip conflict/reused ip.

NPM does not detect different IPs going to a single device. In fact, you might want to have multiple nodes for the different interfaces and such.

Unless you track audits and such either with 10.4 or on the database itself, I do not believe SW keeps the historic info of the IP address for the nodes. Nor the node name.

• Solarwinds does allow duplicate nodes with the same IP address when you have multiple pollers -- you have to have them on different pollers, but it works.

• Actually, the current version of NPM does allow multiple IP addresses for a node. In fact, you may choose the IP address that is polled by NPM. Look on the Edit Properties page for the node and you will see the Select IP Address button next to the node name field.

• For the SQL help, here are a couple queries that can get you a start (these will only work on the newer versions of Orion):

This one gives you all the addresses than have been discovered for each node:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SELECT Nodes.Caption, NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress

FROM [NodeIPAddresses]

inner join Nodes on NodeIPAddresses.NodeID = nodes.NodeID

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could put that in excel and play around with it

This one gives you all the IPs that it sees multiple of, but some are VIPs (WLBS, MS Cluster, VRRP/HSRP, etc) or an old address that was changed

SELECT NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress, COUNT(Nodes.Caption) As [Count]

FROM [NodeIPAddresses]

Group by NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress

Having COUNT(Nodes.Caption) > 1

This one combines the two and gives you the IPs and the node's Caption/Name associated with that IP.

Select Nodes.Caption, NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress

FROM [NodeIPAddresses]

where NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress in (

Select IPAddress from (

SELECT NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress, COUNT(Nodes.Caption) As [Count]

FROM [NodeIPAddresses]

Group by NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress

Having COUNT(Nodes.Caption) > 1

) as MultiIPs

)

Order by IPAddress.

With the question, how can you avoid duplicates, you can use one of the search features or a SQL query like

SELECT Nodes.Caption

FROM [NodeIPAddresses]

Where NodeIPAddresses.IPAddress = 'x.x.x.x'

but as others have said, you really have to try to get a duplicate IP address in the most recent version of Orion.

Here are a couple of ways to search (I could have sworn I'd seen another, but I can't find it!)

Search1.jpgsearch2.jpg

• thanks @netlogix, I'll try your advice first.

Hope it can fix my problem.

• Hello D.G. Pratama,

NPM 10.4 added enhanced de-duplication logic into "Add node" and "Discovery" wizards. Every time you run one these wizards list of de-duplicators perform checks for possible duplicate with already monitoring nodes. Final verdict if node is duplicate or not is calculated from partial results defined by match of IP Address, DNS entry, list of MAC addresses, and SysName.

De-duplicator checks are Engine specific.

Tom P.