This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Get 2,000 thwack points for showing us how you use subviews!

Do you use subviews currently to get different views of a particular node?--Then we want to talk to you!

The User Experience group wants to see how you use subviews currently in your environment. We're running one hour "show me how you use it "sessions with users who have currently set up and are using subviews so that we can see how you are using them and learn how to make them more useful for you.  These will be  GoToMeeting sessions that will take place in US morning times (~8am to 11 am) any time between May 9 and May 17.

Contact kellie.mecham@solarwinds.com directly to learn more or set up a time where we can see what you've done.  We are very eager to hear and see your subviews!

• I would love too but I just lost my solarwinds environment, and am in the process of rebuilding it. Backups were corrupt so cat restore, I am totally bummed.

Description: small logo

Jeremy Mayfield

IT Director

4750 E County Rd. 470

P.O. Box 445

Sumterville, FL 33585

Office: (352) 569-5393

Fax: (352) 569-5397

E-Mail: <mailto:jmayfield@americancementcompany.com> jmayfield@americancementcompany.com

Website: <www.americancementcompany.com/> www.americancementcompany.com

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.

• noooo!  Jeremy, so sorry to hear this.  I know how busy you were already:-(

• Kellie

By "subviews" are you talking about the new Left Navigation?

• Yes I was not happy. But that is my fault for trusting the disk and cloud, I had no tape.

Color

-JM

• yup--just like this picture!

subview picture.png

• At this point I have two different places where I have utilized this new feature and of course would be happy to share; however, I will warn you that what I have is not very interesting.

• These vary per device type or application summary

For a standard node view I have the following 

SUMMARY- This includes basic details of the node, CPU/Mem/Disks/Packet Loss/Response Time

APP INFO - Shows any and all SAM apps tied to the node

ADMIN - Shows any custom properties, which polling engine, and other SolarWinds admin related info

Hardware health- shows hardware details

subviews.PNG

Also we do different views for application summaries.  We have tabs that show the overall health of an app, another with WPM transactions (if needed), another with the app architecture that has a jpg copy of a visio, and also on some we have hooks into our Riverbed product we use for netflow data that pulls an api and places summary info right in SolarWinds so users don't have to navigate two systems.

• you know what would be cool...ability to share tabs.  export/import tab setup in content share.

• Ours is very similar to others, it seemed people at my company didn't really use Orion when there were too many resources on one page.  And then the resources ran 2-6 pages down.  Messy.  So broke it all out in Tabs with the idea that in *most* cases its only one page deep, simple and effective.  Of course an interface listing on a 6500 is a different story.  Made this change and Orion usage increased, you can have the best tool but if its annoying to use or understand people won't use it.

Some of my tabs, notably my virtual details tab, shows blank for certain devices.  There are no VM details for a router.

tabs.jpg