This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM - Email alert not working

Hiya,

I am new to solarwinds and working my way through the products that my company uses for network management.

We have created alerts for - Node down - in Orion alert manager 2012.1.0. - but we get no email alert when nodes ( ie switch ) go down - . I have recreated the alert from scratch but that did not make a difference. We can see the alert popping up in Orion homepage. We also have an alert setup for - Nodes rebooted. I get email alert saying node rebooted once the switch is reconnected. I have compared 2 settings and found no difference.

It will be greatly appreciated if i could get some advise on this please.

Regards,

Sheikh

attachments.zip
  • Just to add - the test email works fine.

• Is the alert enabled in Advanced Alert Manager?

Is 'smtp' the hostname of your mailserver?

In the 'Time of Day' tab on 'Edit Email/Page Action' (see your image 'alert manager 5.bmp'), are there any limitations on that one?

Are you privy to the logs on your mail server? Is there some difference in the list of recipients on your non-working alert as opposed to the reboot alert that does work?

Perhaps your mail server requires authentication to send mail to certain recipients, groups, etc.

Try copying your working 'node reboot' alert. Once copied, simply change the trigger behavior to be a down node. Don't change anything else and enable it. Does it work then?

• HI rharland2012,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I believe its enabled..how do i check ?

smtp is the name of the server..other working alert has the same name.

time of the day is same as the working alert.

Difference in the list of reciepeients - not sure..copied and pasted it. will recheck on that..

Mail server does not require authentication for this type of alerts..

I think copying the working alert and editing it for the  - status is equal to down -  will be a worth a shot..trying it and will update shortly...

• Just checked - the alert was enabled..

deleted the existing alert and copied the exisiting  - node rebooted - alert. Test email works - actual power down of switch  - no email alert on this one. I still get Node rebooted alert via email.

NPM shows the node is down.

• Okay, so what we know is this:

1. Node reboot alert works via email notification.

2. Copying this working alert and simply changing the alert trigger and reset to node down/up conditions - and nothing else (including mail recipients) breaks the email notification piece.

That about right?

• Hiya,

yep thats about right. : )

Cheers..

• Dude, that's weird. emoticons_plain.png

Okay, let's try this. Perhaps there's some keyword or text string inside the node down/up email notification that breaks it. D'you have the ear of your mail admins? Checked the spam/flagged filters there?

Also - and maybe other folks or Solarwinds personnel can address this in more detail - if the test email works, but the the real one doesn't, then it sure doesn't sound like a mail transport issue per se, unless some mechanism of sending in test vs. live is changed - either a sending address or some other identifying and contrasting info in the message itself.

Okay.

• Weird..? you can say that again...

Right you are by saying that test email goes through fine but live one doesn't ..its almost like the tirgger did not happen at all.

I will go through the setting again...and see if i can sort this out.

I have logged a case with Solarwinds support as well...lets see what they come up with..

• Keep us in the loop - I'm interested to hear the resolution either from Solarwinds or your own research.

• Easiest way to tell if the alert is even triggering is to look at NPM and see Active Alerts on the node. You said it shows the status down, but didn't mention the Active Alerts box.