2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 3:24 PM by Aaron Denning

Discards

Aaron Denning

Hello everyone im kind of new to the Network monitoring with solar winds was previously using Spectrum with the military. But my question is how do i get rid of the Discard errors on Orion? any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Discards
          Deltona

Hi there,

Do you wish to filter the resource to hide the In/Out discards or do you wish to address the issue?

Transmit and Receive Discards occur when the connected device is not able to transmit/receive a packet, either because it is too busy (timeouts occur) or because there is a configuration mismatch in either end (buffer size, MTU, etc).

Another common cause of discards is if the data on that interface isn't tagged with correct VLAN info, that is when a VLAN tagged packet gets discarded by a none/wrong VLAN configured recipient.

I'd take a close look at the latency on the device and the interface utilization. If a lot of discards occur then the data would have to be retransmitted and that increases interface utilization.

Deltona

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Discards
            Aaron Denning

I just stepped into here but i was talking with the guy that was doing this before me and we just want to hide them so if you could help me out with that. but i will take the rest of what you say and see if i can figure something out. thanks for the help.