This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Setup email alerts in NPM

Hi,

Where do you go to setup email alerts in NPM.

The following is an output taken from Solarwinds NPM admin guide :-

"

To configure an email/page action for a basic alert:

1. Click Send an E-Mail / Page, and then click OK."

Not sure where I need to be in order to get this started. Any advice would be appreciated. Just need a little push in the right direction then I can really get my teeth stuck into this beast that is Solarwinds emoticons_happy.png

Thanks in advance.

• Open your alert manager on the NPM server

Start >>>all programs>>> SolarWinds Orion >>> Alerting, Reporting, and Mapping

Capture.JPG

Once you have selected and edited your alert it It is the sixth tab over, Trigger Actions.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks dude.

I’ve configured email alerts from tigger actions for a “Node
    Down” alert.

I’ve now tested twice by powering off a test network device but
    so far I’ve received no email. I have added our providers SMTP server IP
    address rather than hostname but to no avail.

Any advice?

• 1.  Did you try testing the alert in the Alert Manager.  That way regardless of if the alert is configured correctly, it should send an email.  If you get the email, you know it is probably your trigger rule.  If you do not get an email it is probably your email set up or a spam filter in your email system.

2.  Post a picture of your alert rule and email set up, blacking out anything that is not public viewing appropriate and lets see if we can see an issue.

• 1) I've tried testing the alert but all I got was the following with no evidence of an email:

4/16/2013 2:04:06 PM: Initiating test for alert Alert me when a node goes down.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Retrieved 2 actions for alert Alert me when a node goes down.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Preparing action type NPMEventLog to test alert Alert me when a node goes down.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Alert Alert me when a node goes down: successfully wrote to event log. - Node dubai-Riverbed is Up.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Action type NPMEventLog for alert Alert me when a node goes down completed successfully.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Completed action type NPMEventLog for alert Alert me when a node goes down.

4/16/2013 2:04:07 PM: Preparing action type EMail to test alert Alert me when a node goes down.

2) Screenshots below:

Capture email setup.PNG

Thanks in advance.Capture email setup 1.PNG

• I would troubleshoot from the email side then.   Verify your SMTP server and your spam rules.