This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Have troubling setting alert for custom Exalt UDP

(I am having trouble setting up an alert based on the Received Signal Level (RSL) of an Exalt wireless radio from a Universal Device Poller.

I chose 'Custom Node Table Poller'

Trigger Alert when 'all' of the following apply

Poller Name 'is equal to' locMinRSL

Numeric Value 'is less than' -54

I can't seem to get the correct value to report on the 'Triggered Actions' alert message. In fact I don't even know if I have the alert setup corretly. I tried variables ${Value} ${NumValue} and everything seems to report 0 (zero).

Can anyone guide on what I am doing wrong and how to get the Trigger Action email to display the actual value? If the value of the RSL falls to -55 or lower on the wireless we want to get an alert. Here's a couple of screenshots to help. The Message doesn't makes sense I am just trying to get the correct string to display the value which is usually around -45.

Thank you in advance for any help.exalt1.JPGexalt2.JPG

• *BUMP* I am still stuck trying to figure this out.

• ${VALUE} is not a simple string, it could be a number of rows from the database and you will get nothing in the alert email if you have more than one interface that matches the locMinRSL

Try something like this, all in one line... try it in the database editor to make sure it returns a simple string.

{SQL:SELECT A.value + ', ' AS [text()] FROM   ( Select CPST.* From CustomPollerStatusTable CPST inner join CustomPollers CP on CPST.PollerID=cp.Pollerid where cp.uniquename='locMinRSL' and Value<-54 and CPST.nodeid=${NODEID} ) A FOR xml path('')}

• Thank you for the response. I'm not very proficient with the alerts. I did some searching but I am having trouble finding the Database Editor. I think I am having trouble setting it up too. I changed to Custom SQL Alert and tried pasting it into the trigger but I get an error when I press Validate SQL.

exalt3.JPG

• I assume the poller works ok when you test it against the device i.e. it will give a figure of around -45. So how are you testing the alert?

• Hi Superfly, what I did is identical to the screen above in the previous post. I go to Advanced Alerts.

Change Type of Property to Monitor = Custom SQL Alert

Setup your Trigger Query = Custom Node Table Poller

Then I paste the query Richard recommended in to the lower window using Ctrl-V. When I click Validate SQL I get this error. I haven't been able to get it to run successfully yet.

I wasn't sure where the database editor is located to test if it returns a simple string as per his instruction to test it.

I have been using Alerts for a while and they have all worked fine but this is my first time setting up an alert using a Universal Device Poller based on the OID. I do have graph under the device that works good. Here's a screenshot of that also. Now we are just trying to get an alert since we have been having some trouble with our point-to-point wireless dropping for some odd reason lately.

exalt4.JPGexalt5.JPG

• I was wondering how you were doing your testing as if you are testing it against another device, you may see incorrect values being returned. But I see your poller is working so that's fine, just need to fine tune your email. I did some testing with my own pollers and found the following worked for me.

Change the Type of Property to Monitor to 'Custom Node Poller'. Also change Numeric Value to Numeric Status. Then in your email to get your numeric status to show use the variable ${CustomPollerStatus.RawStatus}

To test your email change the value in "Numeric Status is less than -54" to say 0 so that it will trigger an alert straight away. So once you confirm you're getting the email you like, then change the value back to -54. You'll need to clear the Active Alert each time you wish the Alert to re-trigger but you can obviously write in a Reset Condition once you finished testing your alert.

I don't know anything about SQL so I can't help with that.

• Hey Superfly, that worked perfect! Thank you so much for your help in getting this to work. At first I didn't have the PollerName as part of the Trigger Condition and several devices started sending messages when I set it to 0. Here's a screenshot below of the final alert. It's only the two condition checks but a picture is worth a thousand words or so they say. emoticons_wink.png Thank you again and have a great weekend!

exalt6.JPG

• Excellent!

Can you please mark this question as answered?