15 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 12:32 PM by Matthew Crawford

Customer Portal Individual User Profiles

Matthew Crawford

UPDATE: Due to a system wide issue effecting the ability to create user profiles, we are temporarily reverting to SWID logins. At this time, please use your SWID and password to log in to your SolarWinds Customer Portal.

If you have already created a user profile, your user profile information will be preserved in our system and will work again once the functionality is turned back on.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused and are working diligently to repair the issue in a way that will restore the functionality in a fully stable manner.

Frequently Asked Questions About Individual User Profiles:

Will I still log in with my SolarWinds Customer ID (SWID)?

No, you will no longer be able to log in using your SWID. You will need to create a user profile in order to log in to the Customer Portal

Do I still need my SWID?

Yes, your SWID (SolarWinds Customer ID) is still used to identify your account with SolarWinds. When logged into the portal, you will be able to see your company name and SWID at the top of the page.

What is the new individual user profile, and why do I have to create one?

For purposes of logging in, changing/resetting passwords, managing account information, and more, you will now use a login based on your email address instead of a shared SolarWinds Customer ID (SWID). This will make is much simpler for you to manage your account, and more secure for you as well, because you will no longer have to share credentials among multiple team members.

Help: I can't create an individual account?

In order to create an individual account, you will need to already have a SolarWinds ID (SWID) and be a SolarWinds customer. You will use your SWID and password to create your user profile. If you do not have a SWID, but are a customer, contact customer service to get this. If you do not know you password, use the SWID password retrieval links on the Customer Portal log in page to retrieve these. You need to be listed as your account's primary contact in order to recover these credentials.

What are the different types of individual account? How do I know which one I have?

Currently, there are two types of accounts. Standard Access and Account Administrator. Standard access allows you full access to the customer portal as you know it today. Account Administrators have access to additional account administration functionality within the portal and can modify contact types and roles for other users on the SWID.

Are there plans to add more roles?

Yes, we are planning to add additional roles and more granular access levels in the future.

I am the main contact on my account. Can I add other users to the account?

Yes, you can add contacts and users to the account. You will need to do this from the Company Account Settings screen. The only way to access this page is to be listed as an Account Administrator.

How do I become an account administrator for my company?

If there is an existing account administrator for your company’s Customer Portal, they can change the roles of other users and make them account admins. If no one is an account administrator, a support rep can assist you in becoming an account administrator. In order to request this role, please submit a support ticket for customer service - http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket/serviceticket.aspx.

I have access to several different SWIDs. Do I need different user profiles for each SWID's Customer Portal I need to log in to?

You will only have one user profile for your email address. This profile can be linked to access multiple SWIDs.

How do I link different SWIDs?

You can link your user profile to additional SWIDs by going to your User Profile Settings page after logging in to the Customer Portal. In order to link to an additional SWID, you will need to the SWID and Password for the account that you wish to link to. Your user profile will be linked to the additional SWIDs. The account must be associated with the same email address you used to setup your user profile. You will use one user profile to log in to multiple accounts using this method.

Can you help me create an individual user profile?

Please refer to the tutorial below on how to create your user profile for the first time. We tried to make the process as simple as possible, but if you do experience issues while creating your account, this tutorial should help.

Can I change my password for my user profile?

Yes, you can change your individual user profile password from within the customer portal on your profile page.

What if I forget my password?

You can get a temporary password and reset it to a new password using the Forgot Password link on the SolarWinds Customer Portal login page.

What if someone else in my organization forgets their password?

The user who has forgotten their password will need to reset the password themselves.

Will Customer Service give me my password if I forget it?

No, for your security, SolarWinds Customer Service will not have access to your password. You will need to retrieve and change your user profile password yourself.   

How do I make updates to my company’s information that is on file with SolarWinds?

On the Company Account update page (accessible by the account admin), users can download and submit the Account Information Update form and submit this to customer service via email to be updated.

What if I need the password for my shared account in order to create a user profile?

The person who is listed as the primary account contact with SolarWinds can retrieve this information using the Forgot Password dialog and clicking I need to retrieve account information for a SWID. This will allow the primary contact to retrieve the shared credentials that are needed in order to create an individual account.

When you come to the Customer Portal, you will use your SWID and password as you have in the past if you have not created your user profile. If you have created a user profile already, log in with your email address and the password you selected.

cp log in page.png

After logging in with the shared credentials, you will be taken to the following page to create an individual user profile. Click get started, and head to the form. If you have already done this, click I'm already set up and log in.

modal.png

Fill out all fields on the form to create your account.

form page.png

After filling out this form, click Create Account and you will immediately be logged into the customer portal. After your initial log in, you will receive an email to the account provided with a link to confirm your account. You are required to click on the link before your next log in to the customer portal. If you do not confirm your account, you will not be able to log in.

confirm account modal.png

If you return to the portal and re-enter your shared SWID credentials, you will be prompted again to create a user profile. If you have already created an user profile, simply click on the Log In button. We recommend that if you have access to more than one SWID, that you link your user profile to the other SWIDs, so that you only have to remember a single set of credentials. To do this, log in to your account and navigate to the user profile settings page:

home page unconfirmed account.png

On this page, you will have the option to link to another account. You will need the SWID and password of that account in order to link it to your user profile.

link profile screen.png

If you are the administrator for your account, you can also access the company profile settings screen where you can view users who have access to the Customer Portal for your company, add users, assign roles and contact types and review other information related to your account.

company profile settings page.png

manage user interface.png

• Re: Customer Portal Individual User Profiles
          keithjen

Does this now mean that my contact details will be for even more marketing emails and phone calls from Solarwinds? I notice there's no option on my new shiny profile to opt out from marketing contact.

kal0el

While I like this feature, it is very unprofessional the way it's being shoved down our throats. Since you've totally ruined my desire to login and look up something quickly, now that I have to take time for that, before I can even gain access to the site I'm paying for, I might as well take time to type this - not that anyone at SolarWinds is ever going to read this, let alone comment on it - and forget them even considering changing the way they conduct business of this nature.

You only needed to do one thing guys: add a "Not right now" option. Would it really kill you to allow paying customers to come back later to do this? Heck, give us fair warning on the "change your login" screen, like a few days, and most people would have it done by then.

You guys at SolarWinds are as bad as Sirius. "Hi - yes, I know we have a contract to do business a certain way, but we've changed our minds, so, like it or not, you have to do it our new way starting right now".

A little professional courtesy goes a long way, SolarWinds.

Matthew Crawford

Hi, I am sorry that you are frustrated by the changes to the portal and the way that it was handled. We did attempt to reach out to customers to let them know that this change was coming via the customer newsletter and thwack. However, I understand that this cannot reach everyone. We also spoke with many customers before making this change, as it is a very large change to the portal, and we wanted to be sure that it was as smooth as possible, while knowing that it would not be without bumps.

I am happy to email you offline if this is something that you would like to discuss further.

mark.tellier@gmail.com

I already have an individual account setup but the portal is forcing me to create a new account, I cannot use my existing credentials. I don't see any options for deleting my existing account and don't wish to create another, what am I to do? I suggest having an option to logon with existing credentials then supply my SWID to link the accounts, or logon with my SWID and link an existing account. This has put me in a bad position when I need to access the Customer Portal.

rgward

Add new account issue:  I'm administrator and can't add new individual account with apostrophe in last name (O'Rourke).  Get "Server error, Please try again later.".  Removing apostrophe works.

dan-uk

I seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of entering the new profile details and then being returned to the same page blank configuration page after about 30 secs so I'm effectively locked out.  Just what I need first thing Monday morning, thanks for that.

D_W_K

I am also effectively locked out.  I have tried to create an individual account, but after clicking "Create Individual Profile" after filling in the details I am jsut returned to the initial log in screen.  Also, when I try the password reminder I get an email saying that no account with my email address exists - presumably because I've not been able to verify the account as I've neither seen that screen nor received an email.

I am currently unable to access the customer portal, which I need to use today, and am extremely disappointed to have this foisted unexpectedly upon me.

zeroh

Same here. i can not create an account. No Errormessage, nothing. It jumps allways back to this welcome message.

Customer ID did also not work.

So what now?

That is not very professional from Solarwinds.

JonnyG

yup same here cannot log in I've tried IE firefox and chrome just in case

furbersj

Having just read this post after already logging a support case, I think its really poor that this has happened and that Support can't even respond with "its a known issue and we're dealing with it". Customer experience on this 1 out of 10 and totally below what is normal. Come on guys sort it out!

jeffnorton

So as of this morning I am completely locked out of my Customer Portal.  I have flushed my cache knowing full well that wasn't going to fix any thing and of course it didn't.  So now I have a WTF ticket in to Solarwinds customer support and expect them to take hours to respond since I'm on Eastern Standard Time and their world doesn't start until Central Time.

So this is my vent of the morning, WHY TRY AND FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN"T BROKEN and as someone said in this thread, thank you so much for shoving it down our throat with no warning.  This is just my daily souce of frustration.  Last Thursday we purchased SAM and the wonderful salesman put the purchase on a whole new account instead of our existing account and when I confronted him about it he indicated it was the first account he found with our name on it.  WHen I told him to change it to our account he indicated I need to fill out a bunch of forms to move it.  Why should I have to fill out more forms to fix his mistakes.  So my current feeling is, I don't care how good the software is the sales and account management is almost bad enough for us to start thinking about going some place else

Matthew Crawford

Due to a system wide issue effecting the ability to create user profiles, we reverted to SWID logins which should have resolved your issue. Unfortunately  this was encountered at the same time as you purchased and attempted to log in for the first time. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused and we are working to restore accounts in a manner that will not cause further issues to any of our customers.

dark_15

This is quite frustrating - I pay $15 grand a year for support and now I can't access any of the tools I pay for?

I know this issue will eventually be resolved, but between the harassing calls/emails on new products/renewals/etc and this fiasco really makes want to consider other products. I've been using Solarwinds NPM and NCM for many years, watching my support premiums climb higher and higher while the service gets more lackluster.

Hopefully lessons will be learned on how to NOT push out new features; but I remain pessimistic for the time being.

UPDATE:

Looks like my account was added without confirmation, as it's saying my account was linked. However when I go to reset my password I see the following:

Please select a password that contains at least 8 characters. At least one letter and one number must be used in your password.

Special characters such as $%@# will not be accepted.

Are you kidding me - I can't have a decently secure password on this new system? This is quite unacceptable in this day and age!