4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 5:21 PM by dennis.ford

Upgrade to NPM 10.4.2 causing new alerts looking how to adjust

kthomason

I just installed NPM v10.4.2 and i am receiving the below alerts that i was not receiving prior to the upgrade.. I placed an example below of the current hardware health from one of the nodes. Is there a way to adjust the warning level on fans or other parts of the OID that references specific sections of the OID.. I have been unable to locate a section in Solarwinds where i can adjust the setting. And since fan speeds fluctuate it would be nice to be able to have solarwinds recognize those fluctuations without having to alert. any help would be appreciated..

Current Hardware Health

Fan

Jseries CPU fan 0Running

Jseries CPU fan 1Running

Jseries IO fan 0Running at full speed

Jseries IO fan 1Running at full speed

Jseries Mem fanRunning

Power Supply

Temperature

4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 3 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is warning
      4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 2 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is warning
      4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 1 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is warning
      4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 3 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is up
      4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 2 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is up
      4/1/2013 4:39 PMHardware sensor Fan 1 of hardware health monitoring on ESWNYCDCR02-1 is up

• Re: Upgrade to NPM 10.4.2 causing new alerts looking how to adjust
          matt.matheus

Have you considered disabling the hardware alerting and / or altering the thresholds in Advanced Alert Manager?

I'm not sure entirely what you want the system to do.

You could alter the actions on the hardware monitoring alert to only alert if the status is Critical (or whatever threshold you want)

You could alter the alert to log an event to the event log, but only raise an alert if a certain status is reached.

You could disable hardware alerting completely.

... or any combination of the above and much more.

• Re: Upgrade to NPM 10.4.2 causing new alerts looking how to adjust
            dennis.ford

Hi KThomason,

Unless you had SAM before the Hardware Health Monitor was just added to your system with the 10.4.x upgrade.  This means the canned alerts that came with the upgrade are now firing.

What you will want to do is go into your Advanced Alert Manager (I assume you are using Advanced and not Basic alerts?) and find the Hardware Health Monitor alert.

You have a couple options here.  You can add the "do not trigger until condition has existed for xx minutes" as suggested above, or you can go into the trigger actions and simply change the thresholds listed there for the trigger conditions.  Or, if you want certain devices not be alerted on you can use the "alert suppression" tab to exclude individual or groups of nodes.  Changing the alert or even turning it off will not turn off the Hardware Health Monitor for devices so that information will still be shown on the Node Details pages, making changes to the alert will only affect how you are alerted about the changes.  (just making that clear).

Matt provided some other great suggestions above as well, such as turning of Email actions if you prefer to keep the current thresholds and only have them logged in your NetPerfMon log.

Hopefully that helps a little too.