3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 8:32 AM by rutgerht

Polling intervals tunning ? ?

rohan.naik

Hello

Im New to solarwinds technology. Currently we have NPM SLX . There are about 3000 elements monitored in solarwinds. Polling Interval is 15 minutes. Polling completion is about 98.35 to 99.65 %

I would like to know, is it possible to tune polling interval for particular nodes ? ?

Say i have 3000 nodes .. with an interval of 15 minutes. From 3000 elements 300 nodes should be polled with an interval of 5 minutes ? ?

• Re: Polling intervals tunning ? ?
          rutgerht

Sure, that's definitely doable in NPM. Go to Manage Nodes, select the nodes you would like to update with a different polling interval (by checking the boxes to the left of the nodes), click Edit Properties and then scroll down towards the bottom of the page.  There you will be able to set the polling interval to a non-default value for the nodes you had selected.

rohan.naik

Hello

Thank you so much for your valuable information.

Furthermore I would like to Upgrade NPM from version 10.1.1 to version 10.4.1.

I have gone through the Administration guide, but not understood few things

Firstly  do i need to take a backup of SQL server while upgrading from 10.1.1 to 10.4.1  ? ?

Secondly how much downtime i need to do the same ? ?

Any Other precaution or suggestion  ? ?

It will be more helpful if you explain the same...

Thanks & Regards,

Rohan Naik

rutgerht

It is always strongly recommended to backup your database and any customization you have made to Orion prior to any upgrading/patching. Most production systems have recurring backups made, but it never hurts making a full DB backup in case you need to back out of the upgrade for any reason.  There should not be any downtime involved in backing up your DB. The only downtime will be when you upgrade your SolarWinds implementation.  The amount of downtime depends on how large your environment is, how many/which patches/upgrades are being applied, whether you have secondary servers to fail over to, etc.  Taking steps, such as staging all your patches on the servers prior to taking them down will reduce the time they are unavailable.  If you don't have an Orion hot standby to fail over to, I would recommend you pick an off peak time (e.g. early Saturday morning), notify your customers in advance and try to upgrade the system then.