9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 4:20 AM by Peter Krutý

training staff on Web Help Desk

shaun.wells.hda

Our company has just purchased Web Help Desk and I have been tasked with delivering the training to our analyst and support staff.

I have had a look around the forums and blogs for a any guides, document, how to's etc on how to use the tool once it has been rolled out but nothing has jumped out at me.

Does any one have, or can any one point me in the direction of some useful guides for the above purpose please.

I would be most grateful as this will make my next few weeks much smoother.

• Re: training staff on Web Help Desk
          kjette

We just recently purchased WHD also and I can tell you there isn't a lot out there accept for the admin guide which is far from complete.  Not sure what your situation is but mine is migrating from an existing solution so not only do I have to teach myself WHD I also have to figure out how to replicate our current processes.  With that said I am still happy with the product but wish there were more resources.  I've learned quite a bit on my own so I'll try to help if you have questions.  Now if I could only get Alert Central to work.

gs_hda

I agree. There is not much aout there in terms of resources. How did you go about configuring your ticket forms and work flows? Havent yet installed the product myself. Trying to get some one to walk me through the installation and configuration.

Cheers

jpike

If you buy Web Help Desk I suggest spending sometime on the phone with their support staff if you're looking for guidance.

Jordan Pike, Network Engineer

Wireless Data Systems, Inc.

Office: 217.303.8720 x112<tel:217.303.8720;112>

Direct: 217.629.4572<tel:217.629.4572>

Email: jpike@teamwds.net<mailto:jpike@teamwds.net>

gs_hda

I did buy the product. Contacted support and they sent me the link for the admin guide. It looks easy to install. Im a bit concerned about configuring the tool. How did you configure your your forms/tickets based on your requirements? Was it easy to do? I asked support if some one can call us and walk us through the installation and config but they advised that they can't do that.

kjette

I found the Admin guide sparse and full of errors and omissions.  With that said it is very easy to install and configure especially if you're going to use the built-in Frontbase database.  This decision should be made at the very start because if you decide to migrate to SQL later there isn't an easy and clean way to do that.  What I would recommend is document all of your processes and then start there.  Forms and tickets are based on Request Types (which you can have cascading levels of) and is highly customizable.  The one gap I'm finding is after hours paging but I'm working on Solarwinds new product Alert Central to fill that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              gs_hda

Thanks Kjette for your response.

I must say that getting this up and running is quite a task.

Were you able to set up a change management work flow. If so can you please advise how you went about this.

Regards

Geoff

kjette

Change Control worlkflow is pretty straight forward.  You'll set up your Change Advisory Board under Processes as far as who will get the approval requests and the minimum approvals needed to proceed.  Then you set up the Approval Process where you point it to the CAB you created in the previous step and also indicate which Request Type its tied to.  Once that Request Type is chosen in the ticket it will kick off the workflow automatically.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  Peter Krutý

It would be great if you could report any errors and omissions in Admin Guide via our support and we will make sure to address them. We are aware of vast flexibility and variety of features which needs better documentation and working on it, but specific suggestions would help us to focus on right things first. Thanks for help!

rjtoney

When we bought the product basic training was part of the package.  Unfortunately, it was as basic as "Click the "New Ticket" button to create a ticket."  If you are looking for anything of substance you may want to ask your vendor for current references  of administrator at other companies using the product that you can contact.  We are all in this together!