13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 1:17 PM by byrona

Alert Central in a NOC

byrona

We are considering using Alert Central in our NOC for managing a subset of alerts.  As best I can tell Alert Central is designed to be more email centric.  How will Alert Central work in a NOC scenario where the alerts are being managed by NOC Techs directly using the WebUI?

• Re: Alert Central in a NOC
          Dave Alger

The only way to partition AC currently is to set up multiple VMs

If everyone in the NOC is okay with seeing everyone else's stuff then it could be done on a single AC VM instance with groups for each type of Operations Tech.

Alert Central can technically be useful even without setting up any Alert Sources if you wanted one guy to manually weed through all the various email alerts and then create manual alerts and assigning them to the appropriate group manually (certainly not ideal but you get the idea of how flexible it can be)

Alert Central could even be used by a fast food joint to schedule all the workers shifts.  Admins can send manual alerts that could get routed to whoever is working at the restaurant...   (i.e. "Be sure to clean the bathrooms", "Restock the Pizza boxes", etc.)

It is a very flexible and powerful tool for calendar scheduling and notification routing.

byrona

Dave

I certainly don't deny the power or flexibility of AC.  I am looking at using it in our NOC, a single VA of AC to manage all of our alerts.  The idea here would be to leverage the Alert Dashboard; however, AC seems more suited toward email and sending alerts to folks via email.

In my use case I don't really want to use the email part, just the Alert Dashboard.  I want to use an email alert source; have the alerts show up in the dashboard in either the Triggered or Notified status while using Orion Custom Node Properties to apply an Object and Severity.  The NOC guys can then manage the alerts via the AC Dashboard, not email.

What would be the suggested way to do this using AC?

P.S.  Using email isn't out of the question and I am still exploring using it, I would like to see how an implementation without it would look for the sake of simplicity since we always have a NOC tech on shift.

Mark Fraser

I would also like to see how to "disable" the auto email aspect. My goal is also to utilize AC in a NOC environment. Therefore avoid the email and have the NOC Techs take advantage of the single alert browser.

byrona

mfraser1126

It sounds like we have the same use case for AC and I wouldn't be surprised to see other folks with this same used case.  I am wondering if a white paper on this use case wouldn't make sense?

Dave Alger

AC lets the individual users choose how to be notified. currently there is no option for a user to "not be notified (I'll handle everything from the console)

the primary email that was used to validate each user will be used for sending alert notifications.

the user can choose to ignore these notifocation emails or perhaps you can set up your own emails for each user and monitor them yourselves.

the link at the top of each notification email goes directly to the alert details page for that alert.

if enough people suggest an option for users to not get notification emails then perhaps that could be added to the system but each user could still go in and configure 1 or more email addresses to get notified at...

Mark Fraser

Hi Dave,

The hope here is to avoid email clutter/congestion, as emails do not ever provide a proper way for alert notification (as they can be overlooked). The Alert Browser GUI itself, starts to get to the heart of a Central Alert Browser alerting,  point being if the user was simply able to deselect the send email notification option, that would be a big help when monitoring a very large infrastructure as you would see tons of alerting etc. The NOC team would only be looking at the GUI etc

Mark

eClinicalWorks

2 Technology Drive | Westborough, MA 01581

T: 508-475-0450 x15954

<http://www.eclinicalworks.com/> www.eclinicalworks.com

byrona

Yes, what Mark says!

That is exactly my concern with the email as well.  It will generate a bunch of extra data for no extra value and is an annoyance to deal with.  Having a simple option to shut it off on a per user basis would both solve the problem and make the product fit the NOC use case.

Dave Alger

Good feedback Mark and Byron.

It sounds like you want everything to flow through a "living router"?  You would use Alert Central to filter out some of the noise but at the end of the day everything would be assigned to 1 or 2 people (or whomever is on-call at the time) so there is no need for emails because they will be watching the console?

Should something show up in the console that needs to be handled how would you notify the correct individual?  Call them on the phone?  Have them in their own AC group and manually assign the alerts to them directly?

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you can configure Alert Central to work in your environment.

byrona

Good questions!

We have a 3 Tier organization as follows...

NOC - Tier 1

Admins - Tier 2

Engineers Tier 3

Our NOC would watch the AC console and their user accounts would be set for no email.  If they saw an issue that needed to be escalated they could use the console to escalate the issue to an Admin (Tier 2) whose user accounts would be set for email.

Basically having the ability to turn email escalation on/off at a user level would satisfy the NOC use case as well as the original design and use cases of AC.

Thoughts?

Mark Fraser

I agree, however would suggest if there were customizable “tier” names if at all possible that would make sense for different NOC types. In my case, the tier would be

NOC (no email)

Engineering (Email Enabled)

SME (Email Enabled)

PAGE ON CALL (SMS Alert Page)

Also would be great if we could customized rules for very specific alerts (If this particular Node goes down, follow rules then enable page on call) etc

eClinicalWorks

Mark Fraser

Not really ,

The goal would be that A.C. would be viewed by the entire NOC staff (dozens even hundreds of NOC team and other engineering team members)

Each Operational Team watches “their” group as a filter

In the main NOC they watch the browser, alerts come in “unassigned” into “the general NOC pool”  (no email)  then are assigned, manually by team members accepting the alerts. Some alerts are sent to other groups and so on.

Then the tier rules apply

NOC (no email)

Engineering (email)

SME (email)

PAGE ON CALL (sms)

Some day you auto tie in the Web Help Desk functionality and you will have a very powerful application. “Click to ticket” etc

eClinicalWorks

byrona

I have created a Feature Request for the ability to turn off email notifications on a per user basis, it can be found HERE.