This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IVIM versus Virtualization Manager

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who was running IVIM (the virtualization tab in NPM) side-by-side w/ Virtualization Manager. Are there any major benefits to this approach? We're still in the testing phases for Virtualization Manager, but it seems like it is going to cover our bases nicely.

Thanks,

nich0s

• I don't run them side by side but my understanding is that Virtualization Manager provides a much deeper dive on the virtualization stuff including vm/host/storage mappings and such.  Orion NPM is much higher level but also provides all of the network and system monitoring functionality that you won't get with Virtualization Manager.  Which tool is best really depends on what problem you are trying to solve.

• Byrona is exactly right.  Virtualization Manager collects more data, analyzes it from a virtual point of view (alerts, trends, reports) and gives you actionable info for your virtual environment.  I am happy to chat with you directly about Virtualization Manager if you have time - just contact me directly. 

You can also checkout our latest Virtualization Manager - What we are working on post and see/vote on the some of the integration features we are working on.

Brian

• We do run both and VMan goes much further into not only the data you see but what you can control using the tool directly in your environment!  Byron is correct though we want NPM to show the data correctly as it's the main original place people are going to look at first.

• Hi ecklerwr1,

Have you turned on the integration? VMAN should be providing you these CPU statistics if you have the integration turned on.

• We haven't fully integrated yet but my comment about showing the data correctly refers to the research that was done showing how NPM wasn't showing CPU correctly versus vman and vcops... This was proven and is not in the process of being fixed.  I believe it may have been byron that was instrumental in pointing this out as a matter of fact.

• And is in the process of being fixed not not... sorry.